Been There. Done That. Did It Again.

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
The local supermarket had CAB flap meat on sale. It's becoming a favorite around here.
Picked up 1.5 lbs it and marinated it for 3 hours in a mix of pineapple juice, lime juice, tequila, garlic, chipotles & etc.

Got a full chimney of used charcoal going, poured it over 3 chunks of mesquite & it was time to cook.

gScZf78.jpg

IVsFYNG.jpg

Seared the flap meat for several minutes per side.

qJpGKsO.jpg

Time to eat!

mOSqf0t.jpg

That plate looks really good Robert. Unfortunately flap meat around here is almost impossible to find and when I can find it your looking at over $9.00 a pound. So it's not a regular menu item but Barb and I both love it.

Robert I'd be pleased with a plate of that food. It looks so delicious, awesome job.

Wow, excellent cook Robert. How was the mesquite flavor? I know a little of that goes a long way. Haven't had any burning success with it on my end.

Wow, excellent cook Robert. How was the mesquite flavor? I know a little of that goes a long way. Haven't had any burning success with it on my end.

Thank you.

Not sure what you mean by burning success. Seems that folks like mesquite or don't like it. I like it & use it all the time with beef. When I'm cooking, I really don't notice the smoke flavor that much when it's time to eat. However, if there are leftovers I really notice the "smoke" the next day (also my clothes). The big box mesquite (HD, Lowes... etc) doesn't "smoke" the same as the stuff from a local wood yard (expensive). I use both, but the chunks from the wood yard seem to impart a better flavor to the meat.

The son of the couple that have the wood yard has a BBQ restaurant here that features mesquite smoked meat - says it's grilled. I don't know how he does it, but the "smoke" is so intense that I don't like it - infuses the meat totally, but it's not a creosote thing. Def a case of going overboard. Folks seem to like it as it's quite a popular place to eat.

Robert-R

I like the marinade, a mix of pineapple juice, lime juice, tequila, garlic, chipotles & etc., and the plated pic is the bomb.
Somehow I always slide right by the flap meat, going to have to remedy that after seeing this cook.

Back