red kettle

Saw one at HD yesterday. The porcelain was chipped around the lid edges. Just like the old redheads.

Our Home Depot has a nice big display for just this model, a really nice display. I lost interest when I found out that they are made in China.

No problems with mine. Works great. But it's also my first kettle and I can't compare it to the original premium one.

I finally was able to look and touch one...my two cents worth

Well, the special edition red kettle grills are finally finding their way down to my area. I was able to see one at Home Depot tonight. (Still $199 there.)

First, I would like to make clear that I am a Weber fan. That doesn't mean blind loyalty or that Weber has never made some serious mistakes. It does mean, though, that I am likely to give them the benefit of the doubt in evaluating their products.

To be honest, it was pretty disappointing for me to see this kettle in person. In grills, anyway, I prefer brunettes to redheads, but I like the red and LOVE the idea of bringing back the iconic color. (Maybe we will see some of those really wild colors, too?) Unfortunately, I did not think the finish on the grills that I saw was ANYWHERE up to par. I think I have a realistic expectation and don't expect perfection at all. The display example, though, felt dry to the touch and had a lackluster sheen; it showed more than a reasonable amount of orange peel look:

bfqqt2.jpg

They also had a brunette - sorry black - Master Touch on display. It had been there a while and had dust, fingerprints and sticky stuff spilled on it. Even so, the finish on this grill was FAR SUPERIOR, with a silky smooth feel, like good porcelain should have, and an almost mirror finish (overlooking the stuff stuck on it):

29pqhki.jpg

Both of these grills had price tags of $199. Now, take a look at the rather flimsy grate you get with the Red Kettle:

15rcv46.jpg

Compare that to what looks to me to be substantially heavier grade in the Master Touch:

2i7xqd.jpg

I realize that neither is stainless steel like it needs to be, but at least the MT is a better build and they even throw in a second upper rack.

The final sad thing was that when I went over to another part of the store where this Home Depot had its gas grills, there was another SE Red Kettle. Have a look at this:(

2md2kaw.jpg

So, for me, the strong desire to own one of these is no longer there. If I was in the market for a new Weber Kettle, I believe I would either buy the Master Touch or maybe get just the Premium and use my savings toward a real stainless grate and an add-on thermometer. Maybe try to get one of those CRIMSON ones!!!!

This is in no way meant to put down others who obviously are very happy to have gotten a SE Red Kettle. If you love the red, then by all means search out a nice example. The stores have them now, and I would just make them open the box up so you could inspect before taking one home. And don't get me wrong, if I won a Red Kettle in a contest I would still be jumping for joy;)!

Last edited:
The one I saw at Lowe’s yesterday was rather “orange peel” finish as well. The assembly guy was there and he said they had not sold many. It’s not perfect but, it’s still cool.

I really enjoy that guy's videos. I personally would have just kept his. He's posted another video about getting a phone call from the head of Weber.

I enjoy his vids also, he's good at that , maybe the best BBQ YouTuber I've seen.

I saw the one bout getting the call from the Weber CEO.

Back