Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP!! w/ Genesis 1000 restoration

TVWBB Fan
    Just drill it out and get on with it. File the surface of what remains of the bolt flat. Center punch it well so the bit won’t wander, and start with a small bit. Work you way up in bit size and what reamains will be gone in no time. Good luck. What’s funny is the burners I’ve bought from Weber came with the bolts giving the impression they should be replaced. From hanging here with these jamokes (great bunch for sure) I knew better than to even try. Yours will be fine just be patient and take your time. All the best
    https://tvwbb.com/images/smilies/genesis1-red.gifhttps://tvwbb.com/images/smilies/black-kettle.gif

Those bolts are so far into the corner how do you get a drill down there? I have tried as on my old Genesis II they had actually rotted off LOL. None of the drills (I owned at the time) would allow a bit to get in there. Though at the time all I had was a large DeWalt and large Milwaukee 3/8 and 1/2 inch respectively. Now I have a fairly slim and trim Bosch 3/8" 18v drill. My solution was a used a piece of 1" angle aluminum stock and made a hold down for the burners out of that and attached it through the side of the fire box. Did that a number of years ago and it's holding up just great.

Larry, I know I twisted one of those off on one of my first rehab grills. I used a Black & Decker 20v to drill it out. I don't remember it being overly angled, but even if it was slightly, I don't think it would matter. I am sure some of those big 110v drills would maybe cause an excessive angle though.

If the new screw is angled slightly, no big deal. It is just place holder, not designed to torque down the burner. I don't think being completely flush is critical and it is just something to hold it in place so it doesn't fall out.

What people don't realize is the burner tube should basically be able to move slightly after it is installed.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Yeah my big drills I could not even get the bit to the area let alone drill even on an angle which is why I made my own hold downs (which actually worked better than the screws).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12