Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! w/ Genesis 1000 restoration

HELP!! w/ Genesis 1000 restoration

While replacing burner tubes on this 20+ yr old beast...i busted the head off bolt of the end burner tube guide screw/bolt. Tried drilling out..no luck.
    so..now when pushing down control knob to start, tube lifts up 1"...any thoughts?? high heat glue??
    Summit E-470

I am definitely not an expert at drilling-out-type repairs. I do know, though, that I tried to drill out a stuck hinge pin on a Genesis 310 lid and was getting nowhere. My neighbor next door gave it a try with his freshly sharpened drill bit and it was a night and day difference. Maybe a sharpened or new high quality drill bit would make a difference.

I have learned from Weber and from this forum that your best bet is to just leave the original burner bolts in no matter how bad they look. They really just act as guides. That advice is to prevent this very thing from happening. Now that yours no longer has anything to hold the burner in place, I believe you will have to do something to keep it safely functional.

There are some folks here with a wealth of experience (a LOT more than me), so hopefully some of them will chime in with some other ideas.
    Genesis 330-SE, Q200 Performer , 2 kettles, Green Egg, Orion Cooker & restoring a Genesis 1000 and 3000.

TVWBB Gold Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Good luck with that. I've got nothing. Is there enough of the threads left to put a wing nut on without the washer?
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

FIrst of all, those bolts are not supposed to ever be removed. They are simply there to hold the burner tubes in place. The first grill I rehabbed, I did the same thing. If you can't drill out the old bolt, then drill a new one just to the side of it and find a stainless steel machine screw to put in there. It won't matter if the tube is 1/8" out of alignment.

It seems logical to remove those bolts to get the tubes out, but that is not what Weber designed them for. The way the tubes are supposed to be removed is to remove the two bolts that hold the manifold to the cook box. Then pull the tubes out through the holes that they enter the cook box from.
    Genesis 1000-Redhead Q100 Q1400

Get yourself some angle material and make your own hold down. After all the posts on here warning on NOT removing those screws not sure why you did. The only other way is you have find another cook box

yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    FIrst of all, those bolts are not supposed to ever be removed. They are simply there to hold the burner tubes in place. The first grill I rehabbed, I did the same thing. If you can't drill out the old bolt, then drill a new one just to the side of it and find a stainless steel machine screw to put in there. It won't matter if the tube is 1/8" out of alignment.

It seems logical to remove those bolts to get the tubes out, but that is not what Weber designed them for. The way the tubes are supposed to be removed is to remove the two bolts that hold the manifold to the cook box. Then pull the tubes out through the holes that they enter the cook box from.
    YES!! my bad...I never should have tried to unscrew it after realizing how tight it was on....I just should have wd/40 to lubricate it and then vise grips to PULL OUT!! lesson learned..........
    Summit E-470

Mark,
    No WD40, no pliers, no removing them. THey are not supposed to be removed. They are simply there to hold the burner tubes in place. I believe that if you tried to remove them from a brand new grill, you would find that they are frozen in place from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Mark,
    No WD40, no pliers, no removing them. THey are not supposed to be removed. They are simply there to hold the burner tubes in place. I believe that if you tried to remove them from a brand new grill, you would find that they are frozen in place from the factory.
    Correct! I meant remove the burner tube w/ vise lock and not even mess with the guide bolt..my bad... (the prior owner had completely tightened guide bolt so the burner tube did not slide out)
    Summit E-470

There is no way to tighten those screws that much. They are on a shoulder. The burners slide out to the right side from under the control panel. They do not lift out

Yes, you simply remove the manifold under the control panel and then pull the tubes straight out from that direction (from left to right).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast