PiTunnel. A new option for remotely connecting to HeaterMeter?

Looks like a self contained application that implements SSH Port Forwarding and Tunneling. You can do the same thing, albeit with more configuration work, by setting up the SSH server on the HeaterMeter (System, Administration, SSH Access), opening up port 22 on your Internet router, forwarding port 8022 on your router to port 22 on the Heatermeter, and then running an SSH client like Putty configured with SSH Port Forwarding and SSH Tunneling (in Putty that would be (Connection, SSH, Tunnels - you would want to forward port 8080 on the local client to port 80 on the remote HeaterMeter). Once done correctly (which may take a few tries for a novice) you should be able to do a SSH login to the HeaterMeter over the Internet, startup up a browser with http://127.0.0.1:8080 and then get the HeaterMeter configuration web page from anywhere in the world.

It's basically SSH tunneling, but it's using a reverse tunnel. This is useful for a couple of scenarios

1) Your ISP doesn't allow incoming connections, so you can't create a port forward into your heatemeter

2) Your ISP us using Carrier Grade NAT, which means your router doesn't have a public IP

There are more reasons to use this as well, but these are the main 2.

I wrote reply a couple of months ago in this thread here about using https://sshreach.me/ to achieve the same result.

I have a ATT Uverse Residential Gateway as the modem/router. I know my way around networking equipment pretty well, but ATT has this router locked down making most normal changes difficult. This is why I was interested in the PiTunnel. I do have a public IP and it rarely changes. The problem is the port-forwarding. I may try the PiTunnel since it is free. Thanks to both of you for your reply and explanation.

I've been able to configure the uverse router to allow access to my HM, I recall it was frustrating but I got it done.

I have a ATT Uverse Residential Gateway as the modem/router. I know my way around networking equipment pretty well, but ATT has this router locked down making most normal changes difficult. This is why I was interested in the PiTunnel. I do have a public IP and it rarely changes. The problem is the port-forwarding. I may try the PiTunnel since it is free. Thanks to both of you for your reply and explanation.

If you call ATT and tell them to turn off the router on the modem, they will so that you can install your own router.

Not sure if we have the same uverse router, but on mine I went to pinholes, then clicked on my HM in the list, then selected custom pinhole and added a pinhole for port 8080. I added port 8080 as a listening port on my hm and that allowed me access from outside my network. I think port 80 is blocked on the router, hence the need to use port 8080 instead.

Back