Watch case back press

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anyone use one? Tired of paying the watch guy $15 to put a new battery in. Picked up 5 coin cells for $4 on amazon. Popped the back off my watch, changed the battery but for the life of me can't get the back back on.

Then I read online that you need a press to safely put it back on. Some yokels demonstrate using a rubberized wrench (handle presses it back on) but I think their watch was not too waterproof to begin with for how easy he did it (there's a tiny little rubber ring on the back which precludes you from using your fingers to press the back on).

SO--->anyone get/use one of these things?

7190PLl%2B5nL._UX691_.jpg

Last edited:
I change my own watch batteries and have never used one of those. Place watch face on something that won't scratch it and pop it back with the rubberized handle of a wrench or other tool. Neat looking tool though, and probably pretty cheap on Amazon.

I have been going to Batteries Plus Bulbs. When the guy told me it was $15 I almost walked out. He told me this was for lifetime replacement. Hopefully they will be in business for a long time. I have more watches than Weber's so hopefully this will pay off in the long run.

My wife gave me a watch about 25 years ago. I still have it. Never worn it. Never liked them or had a need for them.

Saw the wrench thing on youtube--tried it but no dice. Possibly some watches are more "snug" than others (apparently mine is). The trouble here is the watch is supported on the crystal and not the bezel so putting too much pressure on the back will crack the front.

Thanks though.

I'm going to the jewellers this p.m. and if he wants more than $5 to press it back, I'll walk and get a press. Payback will happen with two battery changes.

I've always been able to snap it back on. As you say, that little rubber O ring can be a bear though. A tiny bit of vasiline on the tip of a tooth pick applied to the groove for the ring helps.

I've never seen one of those. I retired 15 years ago and since then I haven't worn a watch more than 3 or 4 times. I have my Dad's old wind up Timex which still works perfect and I use it if I want to wear a watch.
Barbs watch uses a battery but with my arthritic fingers I can't get it apart anymore so I just pay the price and have it replaced once a year.

I was of the same mind when I started with my cell but found that either I didn't have my cell ( tight pants makes sitting with your cell in your pocket looking for problems) or it was a pain when i wanted the time and having to take it out with your arms full with "anything". Made sense to start wearing one again.

The Vaseline idea may work but I'd be concerned about compromising it's water resistance.

My current watch is a Timex Weekender.
I only wear it when I leave the house and feel incomplete if I don't have it on.
My old Timex Expedition was a bear getting the back put back on.
Here's the Weekender, nice and simple with Indiglo backlight:

14b76f938056ae3cec47dfa8065b269d--timex-watches-gray-stripes.jpg

My current watch is a Timex Weekender.
I only wear it when I leave the house and feel incomplete if I don't have it on.
My old Timex Expedition was a bear getting the back put back on.
Here's the Weekender, nice and simple with Indiglo backlight:

This isn't too weird! Guess we're on the same wave length Bob. This is my work watch, the Timex Expedition, just as you described it. This is my work watch and wear it always. Keeps perfect time practically to the second. I too am lost without a watch and to make make matters worse, it has to be precisely the correct time. I check it frequently against the world clock on my IPhone and it never fails me. My OCD kicking in, I guess.

enhance

Just got back-->pressed it gratis. Must be my winning :D

BTW, $15 for battery replacement (installed) .

I was of the same mind when I started with my cell but found that either I didn't have my cell ( tight pants makes sitting with your cell in your pocket looking for problems) or it was a pain when i wanted the time and having to take it out with your arms full with "anything". Made sense to start wearing one again.

The Vaseline idea may work but I'd be concerned about compromising it's water resistance.

Well, Len; maybe you should just stop wearing those tight pants. :p

Back