Peruvian Style Chicken with Green Sauce

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
This is the second time I've cooked this & it's has to be one of our all time favorite chicken recipes. Rotisserie, of course!

Dissolved 1/2 cup K salt in 2 quarts cold water, added a whole chicken & put it in the fridge for 6 hours.

Made a wet rub. Player lineup:

AjtTxu3.jpg

Ground 4 cloves garlic & 2 tsp K salt to a paste.

5KIttHY.jpg

Added 2 tbs smoked paprika, 1 tbs ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tbs aji amarillo paste, 2 tsp huacatay paste, the juice of 1 lime & 2 tbs evoo.

1ABDjkd.jpg

Drained & patted the bird dry. Put some of the rub under the skin of the breast & thighs & slathered the rest on the outside of the chicken.
Trussed, spitted & into the 14.5 for a ride at 400* over Weber briqs & a big chunk of cherry.

VDn1uZr.jpg

While the chicken was cooking, made the green sauce. Player lineup:

A3KQIvy.jpg

Rough chopped 2 cloves garlic, 2 green onions, 2 jalapenos (stemmed & seeded) & put them in a blender.
Added the juice if 1 lime, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves (which didn't make it to the photo op), 3/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tbs aji amarillo paste & 2 tsp huacatay paste. Blended until smooth & seasoned w k salt & ground black pepper.

Pulled the bird when the breast measured 170* & let it rest 10 minutes.

UaepHMb.jpg

Time to eat!

YFCPOfp.jpg

The chicken was moist & tender, great flavor from the rub & the green sauce is just super.
Wifey loves this!!! It's spicy, but not tear your head off.

fwiw - the aji amarillo paste was ez to find local at the Mexican supermarkets.
The huacatay paste was another story - ended up ordering from Amazon. It's pricey.
After it arrived, found Goya brand at Walmart for 1/4 the cost + $6 shipping.

This is a Steve Raichlen recipe.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Robert, it looks wonderful. My wife is from Peru, I might have to surprise her with this one day.

Looks great. I'd try it but I doubt we have those paste/spices up here (more Chinese and India(n) ). Maybe find a kopykat :rolleyes: . Tks for posting.

It's really great to see a Robert-R post again. Hope things have settled down for you Robert. Dynamite looking chicken! Will definitely give that a try, soon. After looking at a few of the ingredients, I have the same concern as Len regarding availability here locally. That's OK though, Amazon is my good friend. Great looking cook Robert!

It's really great to see a Robert-R post again. Hope things have settled down for you Robert. Dynamite looking chicken! Will definitely give that a try, soon. After looking at a few of the ingredients, I have the same concern as Len regarding availability here locally. That's OK though, Amazon is my good friend. Great looking cook Robert!

Thanks, Cliff. Starting to get some energy again. fwiw - there is enough paste in both jars to do at least 4 chickens & sauce. The green sauce is pretty good with Ruffles, too.

Great looking bird ! Pretty sure I've seen the aji amarillo paste at a shop that we have in Calgary called Unimarket that specializes in Central/South American foods. Will have to pay them a visit and see if they have the huacatay.

Looks Great Robert... Very interested in the black mint paste.... What can/could you compare it to?

That meal look great. I really like to color on the chicken. Just wondering, would you mind sharing details on your 14.5 rotisserie setup? Thanks again for sharing your cook.

Looks damned skippy to me! My grandchildren love a pretty broad scope of foods, Peru might just be the next style to introduce them to!
One more reason to use the bird turner!

Looks great! Just saw this recipe the other day in the New York Times and book marked it. I was thinking this would be good on pork too.

Back