Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should my stainless grill / flavorizer bars look like this after 1.5 years?

I am the same way. I do a lot of business on fleabay because it's quick and easy but not so great for me. I rebuild, buy and sell KitchenAid mixers. I give a nice discount on rebuilt machines purchased outside of FlaeBay as they charge me an arm and a leg. www.themixerdoc.com for direct communication

Genesis Heat deflectors by RCPlanebuyer for Genesis 300 series 2011-2016

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    Gave you a good source. RCPlanebuyer on FleaBay
    I got in touch with RC on eBay. He said he wanted to make some of these parts but found that the Genesis IIs had pushed aside all the prior Genesis 300s leaving him nothing to measure when he went to the store. He asked if I had a decent original I could send, so I will be mailing him one. When he has some made I will let you all know as I promised him I would. I am sure his will be head and shoulders above the ones I got from Amazon.
    Genesis 330-SE Genesis Silver C Q3200 Q1200 Performer 1 green kettle. Projects: Genesis Skyline 4000 one redhead and one maroon Genesis 1000 Summit 650.

I sent the photos of my rusted grates and flavorizer bars to Weber asking if this amount of wear appeared normal. I didn't get a response to my questions other than that they emailed me a link with a video on to how to clean my grill.

I sent a PM to Bruce to get RCPlanebuyers info so I can order some quality grates and flavorizer bars.

I'm really disappointed in how much lower the quality is with the new Webers compared to my old grill. It's unfortunate that corners have been cut.

I personally have had pretty good experiences with Weber customer service. But I see others have not. That is too bad. I would think that flavorizer bars, cooking grates and burners should all last 5 years plus if reasonably taken care of.

RCplanebuyer will last longer than any Weber OEM or aftermarket part out there.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

I called Weber again - apparently the CSR forgot to get back to me. They are sending me new heat deflectors, flavorizer bars and grates. I asked about the type of stainless they are using for the internals and the CSR didn't know the specifications. My flavorizer bars and grates are magnetic. I didn't think that type 304 stainless was supposed to be magnetic.

Is Weber now using a different grade of stainless steel? Should the grills be magnetic?

Rich, I think the good stainless (304) is NON-magnetic. It doesn't surprise me that Weber is using something else. Still better than regular steel coated in porcelain, but not as good as 304 for grill parts.

Good deal with getting them replaced by Weber. You might as well use them until they rot out, then switch to the stainless.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

304 is definitely non magnetic. Weber used to use it but now they've gone el cheapo all the way. I'll bet it won't be too long before they go to powder coating everything instead of porcelain too AND increase the price to boot

If they go to the flat black powder coated hoods, then we can put them in the same class as all the other "throw away" grills. Use them for three seasons and toss them because, not only the internals are trashed, but the hood, frame and cook box are as well.

Mark my words. Given the management company that owns them now and their reputation it'll happen but they'll raise the prices too

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    304 is definitely non magnetic. Weber used to use it but now they've gone el cheapo all the way. I'll bet it won't be too long before they go to powder coating everything instead of porcelain too AND increase the price to boot
    Thars not true of the new genesis II. I didn't test the internals but the external stainless parts are all non magnetic. And pretty robust in my opinion. I would bet the internal parts are good quality stainless too.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast