Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should my stainless grill / flavorizer bars look like this after 1.5 years?

Should my stainless grill / flavorizer bars look like this after 1.5 years?

Wow - the guts of my Weber look terrible after one and one-half years:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sieokrx66p..._0913.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8ae910qkx..._0907.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xs4k8vvbh..._0906.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah19yzfbqv..._0909.JPG?dl=0

I always preheat my grill and try to scrape the grates but I have never been able to keep the stainless clean. I always cover the grill. I live in MN - not near saltwater.

I had my last Weber for 20 years and at the end of 20 years the same parts didn't look anything like how bad these parts look.

Is the stainless steel Weber uses different now? What can I do? Buy aftermarket grates?

(If the photos don't show, I had about 1/2" thick layer of rust in the bottom of my grill, the stainless grates look like a rusted, corroded mess as do the flavorizer bars.

Last edited by RichF; 12-14-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Links don't seem to work for photos

The flavorizer bars and burners look fine. The heat deflectors look bad. Those were not SS as OEM but enameled steel. As for your question. That generation of grill is when Weber began with the "cheapening" process of most of the components made in China of cheap steel. I remember being sadly dismayed when I was putting the new grill together for my sister and BIL they bought a few years back. Every box and component showed "Made in China". I believe only the stampings were done in the USA. Even the grates showed "Made in China" In 2010 Weber ceased being a family owned company and was sold out to a "management firm" who has no skin in the game and no soul.
    BTW you can get SS replacements for those heat deflectors, and better quality FBs from RCPlanebuyer and they don't cost as much as Weber replacements made from junk steel. So no you're not imagining it. Your 20 YO Weber was a better product than your new one

The newer grills have more internal parts and they tend to collect more crud. The heat shields are a prime example. Like LMichaels says, the OEM parts are just porcelain coated cheap steel and don't last too long when they constantly exposed to direct flame and high heat. I also agree that the older Genesis Silver B's and Genesis 1000's were a lot more simple and less prone to problems...And I am not convinced they are any less effective at grilling than the newer ones.

If you go with some quality Stainless heat shield, flavorizer bars and cooking grates, you will probably be much happier, but be prepared to pay for it.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Super Fan
    My deflectors didnt look that bad after 5 years. However I'm in California where weather isn't so punishing. Its not under a covered patio or shed, but I have a good canvas cover with vents.
    -------EP-330, DD Performer, Jumbo-Joe, 14" WSM, GWGA-------

I have a Genesis E310 that is a 2012 model. I picked it up for $50 and I didn't even realize they had heat deflectors when I opened it up. It was so full of gunk I couldn't see them with all the gunk. I bought a new SS set before I did a little digging and found the originals are still in there. I have yet to pull them out fully to look at them, but I am guessing I will still be needing the SS ones that I bought. I don't remember them being too expensive for SS. And they were direct from Weber.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I have a Genesis E310 that is a 2012 model. I picked it up for $50 and I didn't even realize they had heat deflectors when I opened it up. It was so full of gunk I couldn't see them with all the gunk. I bought a new SS set before I did a little digging and found the originals are still in there. I have yet to pull them out fully to look at them, but I am guessing I will still be needing the SS ones that I bought. I don't remember them being too expensive for SS. And they were direct from Weber.
    I would be interested in what Weber sent (decent stainless?)and if you can remember how much they cost. I picked up a couple sets from Amazon. They were inexpensive but a little thin. I donít think they are very good stainless either. I would like to find a reliable source because as mentioned these parts take a beating. The OEM porcelain ones rust pretty fast.
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

Gave you a good source. RCPlanebuyer on FleaBay

I don't have the info on the SS heat deflectors any more, but I think they were around $25. Yah, I would try RCPlanebuyer. If it is a grill you intend to keep, it would be worth buying from him even if they cost a little more than standard sources.

I buy his flavorizers including two I recently bought for my current projects, but I didnít know he made the heat deflectors for the Genesis 300 series. I would way rather buy from him. I will message him on eBay. Thanks for advice.
    Genesis Platinum Silver C Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s Black '74 18, SJ. Projects: Skyline & 2 many others!

Hey guys, anyone wanting to buy from RCPLanebuyer, you should contact him outside of Ebay. If you go through Ebay, he will be committed to doing any business with you through EBay and that costs a lot of money. He will deal direct with you if you contact him direct. Just tell him that you got referred by someone on this web site. This is not an unethical practice unless you contact him through ebay first.
    Message me if you want me to give you his email address. He is good about answering email.
    Bruce

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast