Skyline Edition???

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Is this what is called a "Skyline" Edition Weber Genesis grill?

j9TniH7.jpg

I think the "Skyline" edition featured the skyline of Chicago in the graphics. You may have a fancy model there, what with the pin stripes and all, but I don't think it's a skyline. I'm not being sarcastic, that pinstriping IS fancy! Looks like Natural Gas too, which I'm EXTREMELY fond of!

Tim

Yah, that is kind of what I thought. I thought the Skyline did have more detailed graphics of the Chicago skyline.

I have had a number of these older genesis grills come through my hands, but I haven't had one with the pin striping. Does any one know the significance of the pin stripes vs plain lids. Also, what color would that lid would be called? Is that "MICA GREEN"?

Last edited:
I don't know the significance of the fancy pinstriping, but I'd be careful cleaning the lid. I'm not sure if it's under or over the porcelain, but I strongly suspect it's over. Two cents that weren't asked for but offered just because I happen to have fifty cents more than I'm .... gonna keep ....

Thanks for the 2 cents THyde. I need all I can get. But I don't own the grill. I just saw the photo and had seen other photos like it, but never really considered the significance of the stripes. It just got me to wondering and I couldn't find anything on Google.

If/when I do get a grill with a lid with the fancy stuff on the lid, I will be careful or at least ask for guidance before I start a rehab on the lid.

OK, but the grill in my photo is a 1000. I have several Genesis 1000's and none have the stripes. What does the Weber emblem on yours say? It looks like there is something printed beneath the "WEBER".

“Yah, that is kind of what I thought. I thought the Skyline did have more detailed graphics of the Chicago skyline.”

I am currently working on restoring a Skyline grill. Yes, they were black with white pin stripes and a Chicago Skyline graphic.

Here is a closeup of mine:

2e1zii0.jpg

The one in your picture does look like a rare Genesis 5000.

Last edited:
Jon: Did you have to worry about the printing when you were cleaning up that lid, or is it porcelain like the rest of the lid?

Also, are you saying it looks the lid I pictured is a 5000 or the one that Jeff posted?

Jon: Did you have to worry about the printing when you were cleaning up that lid, or is it porcelain like the rest of the lid?

Also, are you saying it looks the lid I pictured is a 5000 or the one that Jeff posted?

Bruce,
The pinstriping and graphic seem to be part of the porcelain. I was able to clean with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool with no problems. I convinced a guy to ship it all the way from NJ thanks to the idea I got from this forum of looking at Craigslist in other states. He was very nice and shipped all the trays and swing hardware along with the Skyline lid and the wire condiment holder that was the other unique feature of this grill. Like many older black lids, the top part has some fading, but overall it looks really good to me. I felt lucky to get one at all because you very seldom see one here.

The grill you posted is not a 5000, but the lid does look like it came from one. I believe that is what Jeff is saying. His picture shows a Genesis 5000 with the elongated card & unusual glass doors. Maybe someone had one of those and the glass broke or the cart otherwise failed and they "transplanted" it to a regular Genesis cart. I think these grills and probably the lids are pretty rare.

Jon

Last edited:
Bruce,
Scroll down to the bottom of this 1993 pamphlet to see your lid.

https://tvwbb.com/docs/1993-weber-genesis-spirit-brochure.pdf

Jeff

My late friend had one with the stripes. It was the 4000 IIRC. He ended up giving it to me and I used it for parts as the fire box was pretty much toast. I had the lid for a very long time even tried selling it on here no takers I put in the trash. The stripes are right in the porcelain. o special care needed BTW. I'll bet some retailer to make a sale changed the lid either on the 1000 or the 4000 and you have the result
One other thing on that brochure that cannot be said any more is on the very last page and it's a rotten shame on Weber

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff and Jon. I guess that would that mean the lid I pictured is actually from a Genesis 4000-5000 grill? The frame of the grill in the photo certainly isn't, since it doesn't have the side burner.

And I am guessing the color of the lid in the picture is "Gray" according to the pamphlet.

Larry, you are probably right about the lid being swapped, either before or after sale. Honestly, I don't really care about the grills not being made in the USA any more on a personal basis. I will never buy a brand new one. If I want another grill, I will find an older one and rebuild it.

THe "Made in USA" does strike a cord for me in other ways however. I don't like the way production of much of our goods are being moved overseas. I just hope the recent tax changes in Washington go a long ways to changing that. I would welcome companies announcing they are moving production of some or all of their products back to the US.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the grills not being made in the USA any more on a personal basis. I will never buy a brand new one. If I want another grill, I will find an older one and rebuild it.

The day may come for me to buy brand new but I guarantee it will not be a Weber product (or whatever it will be called in the future) simply because of this and also the way I got reamed during warranty on my own unit. If I find deals like that $20 special I found recently sure I'll do it but will not spend my hard earned retirement income on one

Yah, those kind of deals come around occasionally. If a guy isn't in a big rush and just keeps his eyes open, the deals will come eventually on those older grills.

BTW: What year exactly did Weber start producing their Genesis line in China?

Not to hijack this but may I? I bought the Genesis E-330 model # 6531001 in September 2016 when discounted during arrival of the II series. Obviously, it doesn't have the E-W burner configuration but for those of you whom loathe the move to China was this grill still, at least mostly, sourced there? As an aside, when I read threads as this I do get somewhat excited at the thought of owning some of these older models. Thx!

Last edited:
I don't know the significance of the fancy pinstriping, but I'd be careful cleaning the lid. I'm not sure if it's under or over the porcelain, but I strongly suspect it's over. Two cents that weren't asked for but offered just because I happen to have fifty cents more than I'm .... gonna keep ....

I was going for a whole "Chicago Blues" type thing there with "Let the Good Times Roll" ....

Yah, those kind of deals come around occasionally. If a guy isn't in a big rush and just keeps his eyes open, the deals will come eventually on those older grills.

BTW: What year exactly did Weber start producing their Genesis line in China?

Starting with MY 2011 (the N/S burner change) only some of the stampings were made here. Everything else I saw when I opened my sister's new grill in 2011 said "Fabrique en Chine" French for this big company does not care any more. So here is your over priced product which is either entirely or mostly produced in slave labor factories in China. But it's the new II series that is all China. There is some note about the LX series made here but I am calling BS on that too. Since I am sure all they're doing is assembly here of Chinese parts.

Last edited:

Back