The Lodge Sportsman and Pok Pok Thaan

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I stole a Lodge Sportsman grill off CL a while back. Guy used it once then cleaned it and never used it again. For my inaugural cook I did some wings. Which I marinated in Frank's and buttermilk for a day then dusted with Tony C's(really good by the way.)

The Pok Pok Thaan charcoal is some bomber stuff. I can imagine using 2-3 pieces in a mini or 14.5 WSM and having it last for quite sometime. I will be experimenting with that down the road. I used 7 pieces. Started in the chimney per the instructions. Took about 15 minutes for the charcoal to be ready. Laid a single layer in the LS and went to cooking. It was 36°f ambient temp outside with a steady breeze. Chicken was done in 45 minutes. I removed the Pok Pok and placed it into one of my Smokey Joe's to snuff it. The next day I took it out. Only slight ash on it, still very dense lots of usable charcoal still left. Will use it again next cook!

Here's a few photos.

38414798761_2efbd7b6e9_c.jpg

38525375156_b852fa4413_c.jpg

38525431176_0bcb7213d3_c.jpg

24710388998_a8d9843a13_c.jpg

38550379162_86b15c75e1_c.jpg

37694301645_06c6ece319_c.jpg

38525345936_bede7fbb00_c.jpg"

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:
I would love to find a sportsman, even more so now that I've seen the end results with that chicken...lookin good!

Nice! Thanks for the post. I've pondered that Sportsman for a while but have never heard of those logs prior to your post.

Thanks Case, now I'm going to have to buy a Sportsman.

Chicken looks great and thanks for the report on the Pok Pok Thaan.

That chicken looks awesome, outstanding job Case. Like Rich said it sure would be nice to find a Sportsman in our area. Maybe some day.

Have you re fired the PokPok Thaan yet? I’ve heard about that stuff before but, never seen it locally. It looks like the perfect size for the Sportsman! I will be interested in how it handles a second lighting.

Very cool! I never heard of that Pok Pok charcoal logs before, very interesting fuel there. Chicken looks great!!!

That chicken looks awesome, outstanding job Case. Like Rich said it sure would be nice to find a Sportsman in our area. Maybe some day.

Thank you!

I’ve been looking for two years. This one popped up so I snatched it.

Have you re fired the PokPok Thaan yet? I’ve heard about that stuff before but, never seen it locally. It looks like the perfect size for the Sportsman! I will be interested in how it handles a second lighting.

I have not yet.

I’m really interested to see how it works in the Mini and 14.5” WSM.

First box scheduled to arrive this week (1-14-2018) probably won’t fire it until I get the Go Anywhere out, it just strikes me as being a frugal way to use the stuff... until I get a sportsman!

Excellent cook on your Sportsman Case. Mine has been under wraps for more than a year, need to fix that

Earth Fare had some of this charcoal on sale, a 5 pound box for $5, so I bought a box. Got some pork chops I’m going to cook on my Miller Lite SJ tonight. Pics later.

At that price, I might just have to go get a second box or two! I will check the local store tomorrow!
This borders on addiction in some ways, I have not even fired the first stick of the stuff and I’m thinking about getting more, “Just to have on hand!”

Ok, tried it out tonight. Holy wow, this stuff is hard to light! Maybe I didn't give it enough time.
I used 4 logs and 2 Weber lighter cubes in my new SS chimney. I stacked it log cabin style. That might have been a mistake. After 20 minutes, it was barely going!
38810821250_cbe1dd0a52_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Phil Perrin, on Flickr[/IMG]
40578551892_277f8173b4_k.jpg
25750116257_942ee96788_k.jpg

So, I got another lighter cube and used some tongs to stand it up in the chimney.
39910246594_5feae07c75_z.jpg
You can see how little it burned in 20 minutes!
20 minutes later, it wasn't going much better, so I shut down the vents on the Miller Lite SJ and cooked the chops on the gasser.
I'm still hoping to try these again next weekend and really want them to work! I'm already thinking of how I can get back up there and get another box!

Last edited:
Phil, I just checked at my “Earth Fare” and they looked at me like I was nuts! They don’t stock the stuff up here! Darn it!

Phil, I just checked at my “Earth Fare” and they looked at me like I was nuts! They don’t stock the stuff up here! Darn it!

I know I had issues with getting it lit, but I'm going to have Pammi pick up another box if it's still on sale Friday when she goes.

The girl said “The manager doesn’t know if we will get it here! The store is based in the south and things don’t always move north very quickly.”
I thought it was an interesting answer albeit not terribly helpful.
The box I got from Amazon was $15.00 so, if I could get the same size box for $5.00? Sure, sign me up, three or four boxes should get me through some GA projects!

Back