Questions after finishing my first* HM after scoring a L Green Egg for $100 on CL

DanielA

This is actually my 2nd HM built. First one was made 2 years ago as a project for my bosses son. He ended up never using it and actually lost it but his son learned to solder. (Even burned himself a few times which is good imo. lol)

Thinking about helping another co-worker make one so their daughter can learn to solder. Issue is the first and when I just made one I had short / issues. Took me a few hours to figure out but I got it.
This seems to be an easy project yet even I (who solders all day repairing racing drones) cant get it right on the first try. hmmm

Anyways I have some questions:
1. Whats the point of the graph on the bottom?
2. I'm having "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" issues when I connect to it from multiple devices. How many concurrent connections can it support?
3. As above i'm getting this error. I'm using a Pi 2. Would getting a Pi 3 help? Could I tell a difference? I don't think its the wifi.
4. I downloaded heatermeter but can't get it to connect. Do you just add the IP or "/luci/admin/lm/home" also? Does it work if i'm on port 8081?
5. Not sure what Fan settings I need to use but im currently @ 0, 5, 60, 100.

Specs:
Large green egg
MicroDamper

Some PIDS I copied from someone else. Not sure if its optimal
P = 4
I = .0035
D = 5

https://imgur.com/gallery/UvlAG

1. You can zoom in on a section of the graph by selecting part of the bottom graph. It is a little wonky due to a problem with the graph library though, so if the graph refreshes while you are selecting you have to start again. So be quick like a bunny!
2. I would say dozens but looks like there's a bug in the latest release and snapshot that limits it to just 3. This will be fixed in the next snapshot, thanks for reporting this!
3. You probably can not tell the difference between the Pi 2 and Pi 3 when it is operating properly.
4. I do not know what you're asking here. Care to be more specific?
5. I use a large BGE myself so the defaults are sort of built for that. With the microdamper, I have it set to open the damper from 0-50% (fully open at 50) then add fan for 50% to 100% (on above 50).

1. You can zoom in on a section of the graph by selecting part of the bottom graph. It is a little wonky due to a problem with the graph library though, so if the graph refreshes while you are selecting you have to start again. So be quick like a bunny!
2. I would say dozens but looks like there's a bug in the latest release and snapshot that limits it to just 3. This will be fixed in the next snapshot, thanks for reporting this!
3. You probably can not tell the difference between the Pi 2 and Pi 3 when it is operating properly.
4. I do not know what you're asking here. Care to be more specific?
5. I use a large BGE myself so the defaults are sort of built for that. With the microdamper, I have it set to open the damper from 0-50% (fully open at 50) then add fan for 50% to 100% (on above 50).

Thanks for the help!
1. Yea from my reading (This forum is a great tool) someone else said that but I tried to click around and nothing. Is it chrome? hmm Nothing happens for me.
2. ah got it. So when the new update hits just update the heatermeter from Online repository correct?
3. Thanks
3. Was trying to figure out heatermeter ios app. Finally figured it out. I think I had a wrong password in it.
5. Got it. Looks good so far!! Just started my first cook.
VIW4y9k.png

bLheH8F.jpg

Thanks for all your hard work!

I can't believe you got a Green egg for a price of a weber. Unbelievable. The seller must have really needed to get rid of it or did not know what they had, or it was hot.

I can't believe you got a Green egg for a price of a weber. Unbelievable. The seller must have really needed to get rid of it or did not know what they had, or it was hot.

Negative. Nice guy who built a table for it. Well over the years the table broke down and he cracked the ring. Didn't use it anymore. It's so heavy and hes always moving he wanted to get rid of it.

:: shrug :: it could all be a story but he was a nice 60 yo man. Oh and the post was 6 days old? How did it last that long?

I find if you want something big and heavy you can score it for fraction of a price on craigslist. People just want to get rid if it. Got a 2k salt water tank for $300. $800 hot tub for $100 new still in box. Pool table, green egg.
The key is alerts. First come first serve.

1. Yeah you click and drag on the bottom graph to zoom the top one, but redrawing the graph will reset the selection if you are mid-drag so watch out for that dumb behavior.
2. The new snapshot is out. The "online repository" is just for the microcontroller firmware and this was a bug in the Pi firmware so that needs to be flashed from System -> Backup / Flash Firmware -> From URL and paste the .gz URL from https://heatermeter.com/devel/snapshots/bcm2708/

And now I need to start visiting Craigslist every few days. I wouldn't mind having a few more BGE!

Negative. Nice guy who built a table for it. Well over the years the table broke down and he cracked the ring. Didn't use it anymore. It's so heavy and hes always moving he wanted to get rid of it.

:: shrug :: it could all be a story but he was a nice 60 yo man. Oh and the post was 6 days old? How did it last that long?

I find if you want something big and heavy you can score it for fraction of a price on craigslist. People just want to get rid if it. Got a 2k salt water tank for $300. $800 hot tub for $100 new still in box. Pool table, green egg.
The key is alerts. First come first serve.
I'm not being negative, if I saw it I would have snatched it up in a heart beat. But, after you put some context to the Craiglist post, I was right about what I said. He was just trying to get rid of it, and you happily did what any person, in the know, would do. Congrats on a great find

Back