some pics of new acquisition (hopefully)

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
First off WHY does the process of sharing photos have to be so dam HARD on this site?! UGH! Royal PIA
Anyway hopefully these show up. Photos a Genesis B nat gas I picked up last night for $20. Given the overall condition I think I did very well. One flavorizer is a bit cheesy but I have a custom made set that I can fit into it I believe
Well here goes. These are all as I got it BTW. I am not going to do any real resto on it until next year after I do a resto on my Summit 450 and a minor resto on the Wolf. This will suffice until those are done then I will most likely sell this one after I do a deep clean and minor resto on it

ixfiwz.jpg

2qiodwk.jpg

as you can see the side tables are in great shape

mvnofn.jpg

gas valves work smooth as silk

2149qpy.jpg

no dreaded side frame rust :)

2elrsk9.jpg

a little light rust on the grates nothing some wire brushing and reseasoning cannot take care of

Yep I think so. The only "problem" I could find is the tool hook on the left side of the frame is broken where it inserts into the rear frame rail so that left tool hook is not the strongest (though it still holds it's own). Honestly I may have done it myself or perhaps when the owner transported it from his late uncle's home it may have happened since he had to transport it in a Toyota Prius. Not the easiest task.

Looks like a good deal for $20. A little clean up and it should be good to go. I've rehabbed a few NGs but did find them a little harder to move due to it being NG, not a lot of homes here have NG out on their patios.

Yeah but if needed I can easily convert it. I may actually do that anyway so for my needs it's more portable. Then I can keep it in the garage next to the Q220

Yah, you got a winner there. Looks complete, even the hanging rack and warming rack are present...hopefully not totally rusted out though. It is certainly much cleaner and looks better cared for than the Silver C that I picked up last week.

Low investment means you will have a basically free grill for your self or a nice profit if you decide to move it.

"bridge plan"??? You mean until you get a new fancy grill?

As far as the NG goes, that would be convenient if I had access to NG. But, even if I did, I am not sure I would have a NG grill. It just seems to nice to be able to move my grill around when I want to. I don't really want to put it on a leash. If I did, I could always tap into my bulk propane line and use that, I suppose.

As far as the cast iron grate goes...That is a big bonus in my mind. That would be my preference just behind a quality RCPlanebuyer SS set of solid rod grates. The cheap stamped grates work OK, but they are just not as good for cooking IMO. Most of the rehab grills I have come across have the cheapo stamped steel grates. I am not sure if the older grills originally came with CI, but it seems when it is time to replace them, most people go cheap with the stamped steel. If people weren't so lazy about keeping them cleaned and oiled (seasoned), the CI grates would last forever.

I don't like going to replace propane tanks constantly. With NG, I'm free! Every time I grill I'm happy I'm on my NG line.

With respect to the cast iron, I agree the stamped grates are sub par. I'm just congratulating Larry for a 20 dollar grill with cast iron: the grates alone are worth twice that at least!

Happy grilling and slainte,

Tim

I really have no need to move my main cookers around. I have an elevated deck (where my NG line is) so pretty much once a grill goes out there it's not going to move around more than the length of the gas hose anyway. The benefits of NG FAR outweigh the limitations. I am so glad to be freed from having to fill or replace tanks, worrying that the last 1/3rd of a tank won't run out in the middle of a cook or when it will happen or putting a fresh tank on simply "because" or just in case. LP has it's place. For the little Q220 in the garage or even if I convert this new find to LP it too will be the bad weather garage grill. But come spring it will go to the deck and I will put NG orifices back in it (btw this one has the constant valves so I only need to change orifices :)) very happy with that also.
Once it's mission is done I'll make decisions on whether or not I keep it as part of the "fleet" Until then I have a bunch of stuff to do outside before arctic weather comes in. The ABS is not working in one of my Highlanders, and many other outdoor stuff. I need to replace the video card on my main laptop, change antifreeze on the other Highlander (yes I have 2 of them) :) need to put in new Kitchen sink and faucet (bought but just sitting in garage) and today I have a sick little guy home with me.
ON that note, stupid me. Wednesday my wife said she wanted chicken shish kabobs and rice pilaf. Well I made 2 HUGE errors here. I bought organic boneless skinless chicken breasts at Sam's Club and a case of their organic Chicken broth. Upon opening the breasts Wed PM I noticed they were very "slimy". No really foul odor or anything so I made the decision to move forward and cut it up, got it into a marinade and into the fridge. I made sure to clean everything with soap and bleach (normal habit for me with chicken) and processed the other items to go on the skewers. (sweet peppers, mushrooms and onions). BTW because this was going to be with Chicken the veg skewers and chicken skewers were processed and cooked separately. Again exteme abundance of caution since I ended up in hospital last year with SEVERE food poisoning (from of all things Avocados!!). (side note I still over a year later cannot look an avocado in the eye!).
Now upon opening the broth container I noticed the seal did not seem correct and that it looked like there was possible leakage. Here too. Visually it seemed weird. Cloudy and such. Fatal mistake...................I used it also. Anyway that night that little guy ate like he had a tapeworm especially aforementioned rice and the chicken. Thursday VERY early in the AM he woke his mom ad Nonna due to puking (which other than normal baby puke he has NEVER done in his 7 years on the planet) and very bad diarrhea. Plus a fever. Also his mom, his Nonna and myself (me worse than the other 2) got symptoms.
Thankfully the food poisoning I induced into my family was "mild" but shall we say "unpleasant". Thanks to being a senior with Type II and previous severe food poisoning incident causing compromised immune system and the little guy being little we took the brunt of it
Lesson here if something is the TINIEST bit suspect DO NOT USE IT CHANGE THE DINNER PLANS! Sorry for the long rant/novel LOL

Larry, sounds like you have your hands full and sounds like you have the next week or two full as well. I hope you can use this nice late fall weather for your chores.
Good luck and I hope the little guy comes through fine. They always seem to better than the adults.

I have a big rack of ribs that I have been brining over night and need to pull out and put the rub on now. Then a few more hours in the fridge and they will on the roto in the afternoon for dinner later on.

I have never brined ribs before nor have I ever heard of anyone doing so. One of the advantages of ribs (especially spares) is their marbling which should keep them juicy and nice.

It's a dry brine. Not a traditional salt water brine. I just salt them the night before and leave them in the fridge overnight. Then I put the rub on in the morning and a few hours later they hit the grill. The rub doesn't have any salt in it so I don't have to worry about over salting the meat.

Here is the recipe I am using. I have used it a couple times already and really like it. I certainly don't consider myself a veteran rib chef.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...s-recipe-best-barbecue-ribs-youve-ever-tasted

Sorry to here about your family's food poisoning hope every one gets well quickly, been down that road myself and it's not fun.
My E320 is NG and I love it, never have to worry about a bottle going flat in the middle of a cook. Also as I get older those LP tanks seem to be getting heavier.
I do have two 13 bar LP genesis grills if I need portability so the E320 stays under the covered patio.

RIch, that's the solution, just have a grill for every occasion. Kind of like having 8 different kinds of hammers. One or two will usually cover it for most people, but 8 of them covers every possibility. The only problem is finding a drawer in the tool cabinet big enough for the eight hammers and a deck big enough for eight grills. ;)

Ha, you guys oughtta see the collection of hammers at my house. Wife works for Estwing which is like Snap On to a mechanic they're like that to carpenters and such. We've got more different kinds than I can count LOL. One drawer in my roll away cabinet in the garage is devoted to just hammers and I don't think that's a 1/10th of the "collection" but they are the best $$$ can buy

Larry, that doesn't surprise me somehow. :)

Here is a three minute video clip of my BBQ Spare Rib cook this afternoon.

Back