REALLY?!!! The crazy things people do to their grills...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have started working on what was going to be my first try at a double-restoration: two classic Genesis models, one a 1000/1100/1200 and the other a 4000. I was organizing my old shed and began work on disassembling a third Genesis 1000 series that I picked up cheap on OfferUp. What I discovered has led me to decide to try for a TRIPLE restoration.

Horrifically, the prior owner decided to spray flat black high-temp paint on the sides, TOP AND INSIDE of the hood:confused: and even on the Weber logo (no sanding off to reveal the logo). The hood looked pretty grim:

k9w6kh.jpg

kdqweb.jpg

Since I already have plenty of the aluminum sides (mostly cast-offs donated by friends or otherwise free), I gave consideration to just junking the hood. But, my curiosity got to me and I decided to see if I could get some of the flat black paint to come back off. To Weber's credit, the old porcelain was still pretty resilient, and with some determined use of Simple Green and appropriate grade of steel wool scrubbing, the spray paint does actually come off:). I expected to find faded black porcelain underneath, but to my surprise this hood was actually a beautiful shade of maroon:

34gx4dz.jpg

I tried to concentrate on the top where I expected fading would be the worst. What I have revealed so far actually looks to be in decent shape. A lot is still covered, though, so it is entirely possible I will find some egregious flaws the prior owner was trying to cover up. If not, I cannot imagine WHY someone would do this to such a pretty color grill!!!

I think this hood was a special color marketed through Target stores, but maybe some of you know better. I am not sure how I am going to finish the grill. I have a lot of durawood shelves and handles (some of which came with this grill), and the gray might look nice with the maroon. The beauty of stained wood, though, keeps calling out to me. I guess I will experiment with some stain colors and make a final decision. Stay tuned.

WHy not just use a paint stripper? Since the inside and outside of the hood is porcelain the chemical will not touch it. Porcelain is basically a glass coating. That crappy paint should than come right off

WHy not just use a paint stripper? Since the inside and outside of the hood is porcelain the chemical will not touch it. Porcelain is basically a glass coating. That crappy paint should than come right off

Larry, I appreciate the advice. I had been thinking about that but was a little afraid it would turn into a big goopy mess:(. I think I will go ahead and give it a try. Thanks!

The paint stripper will probably work great on the outside of the lid, but I am thinking the previous owner likely just painted over the burnt on carbon on the inside of the lid. Some simple green and steel wool will be needed to clean up the inside if you want to get it back down to the red porcelain.

I have started working on what was going to be my first try at a double-restoration: two classic Genesis models, one a 1000/1100/1200 and the other a 4000. I was organizing my old shed and began work on disassembling a third Genesis 1000 series that I picked up cheap on OfferUp. What I discovered has led me to decide to try for a TRIPLE restoration.

Horrifically, the prior owner decided to spray flat black high-temp paint on the sides, TOP AND INSIDE of the hood:confused: and even on the Weber logo (no sanding off to reveal the logo). The hood looked pretty grim:

k9w6kh.jpg

kdqweb.jpg

Since I already have plenty of the aluminum sides (mostly cast-offs donated by friends or otherwise free), I gave consideration to just junking the hood. But, my curiosity got to me and I decided to see if I could get some of the flat black paint to come back off. To Weber's credit, the old porcelain was still pretty resilient, and with some determined use of Simple Green and appropriate grade of steel wool scrubbing, the spray paint does actually come off:). I expected to find faded black porcelain underneath, but to my surprise this hood was actually a beautiful shade of maroon:

34gx4dz.jpg

I tried to concentrate on the top where I expected fading would be the worst. What I have revealed so far actually looks to be in decent shape. A lot is still covered, though, so it is entirely possible I will find some egregious flaws the prior owner was trying to cover up. If not, I cannot imagine WHY someone would do this to such a pretty color grill!!!

I think this hood was a special color marketed through Target stores, but maybe some of you know better. I am not sure how I am going to finish the grill. I have a lot of durawood shelves and handles (some of which came with this grill), and the gray might look nice with the maroon. The beauty of stained wood, though, keeps calling out to me. I guess I will experiment with some stain colors and make a final decision. Stay tuned.

Not so crazy I have been trying to find a 1000 propane manifold donor grill since August no luck missed a couple by 1 hour they are scarce in ATL one caught my attention a few months ago was to far away. The same thing they had sprayed the outside of the grill lid with flat black including the emblem no idea what color it was underneath, it was to far anyway.

Brian

No it's more that reddish brown color I forget what it's called. I actually used to have one. Sold it to my buddy

It's the maroon color, like mine. I'd put up a picture but I need to re-figure out how to do that since photobucket isn't working for me any more ...

Yes, it is definitely more of a wine/maroon shade. I also am working on a redhead restoration. That hood is nice and bright but notably lighter and more red in shade. I believe this maroon was a color they used for grills sold through Target at some point. In an earlier thread I showed pics of one of my first restores which was a dark gray hood that I definitely identified as a Target special color. The serial number on this one is gone so I can’t say for sure about it’s pedigree.

Picked up some paint remover as Larry recommended, so hope to post some better pics soon.

Yes, it is definitely more of a wine/maroon shade. I also am working on a redhead restoration. That hood is nice and bright but notably lighter and more red in shade. I believe this maroon was a color they used for grills sold through Target at some point. In an earlier thread I showed pics of one of my first restores which was a dark gray hood that I definitely identified as a Target special color. The serial number on this one is gone so I can’t say for sure about it’s pedigree.

Picked up some paint remover as Larry recommended, so hope to post some better pics soon.

It looks maroon to me also.. I bought a 1000 earlier this summer and I liked the maroon enough that I kept the lid and sold it with a spare black lid. It now sits on one of my keeper grills.

Wow...is this the new "is the dress black & blue or white & gold"? :D

Since I'm outnumbered I will stand down. Maybe my monitor is out of whack. Or time to get my eyes checked. Or both.

I look forward to seeing it when all the black is removed.

It's the maroon color, like mine. I'd put up a picture but I need to re-figure out how to do that since photobucket isn't working for me any more ...

Hi, so far I can recommend tinypic.com. Free and fairly easy to use. They do hit you with some annoying ads, but you have to give something for a “free” service.

I would love to see your maroon grill.

Wow...is this the new "is the dress black & blue or white & gold"? :D

Since I'm outnumbered I will stand down. Maybe my monitor is out of whack. Or time to get my eyes checked. Or both.

I look forward to seeing it when all the black is removed.

Chris, I am not trying to outnumber you! Just saying, I've had red lids and the maroon which I have now, and I think that the lid in this posting is a maroon one. Perhaps MY eyes or monitor are out of whack! Who knows?

Slainte,

Tim

Hood all cleaned up. Thanks, Larry!

Well, I finally had a little time to try Larry's recommendation and use paint stripper to finish cleaning up the "mystery" hood I picked up on OfferUp.

As a reminder, the prior owner decided to spray paint the hood flat black - a very bad idea that in this case came out looking pretty bleak:

k9w6kh.jpg

I thought the PO also spray painted the inside (an even worse and maybe dangerous idea). After working with it I can't say for sure if there was paint or just a lot of dried on grease and soot:

kdqweb.jpg

Larry's recommendation worked great! Saved me several hours of hard scrubbing and reduced the chance of scratching the lid. The ugly old paint practically rolled off. Cleanup turned out to be much easier and not nearly as messy as I had been afraid. THANKS LARRY!

Here's a picture of the cleaned up lid under my Christmas tree:):

2zq7621.jpg

As was predicted by Bruce, cleaning the inside was more of an adventure. I finally had to back off and leave a little residue behind because my escalating aggressive cleaning ideas were starting to scratch the porcelain. I think it still came out pretty nice - shiny enough to reflect my Christmas tree lights:D:

nv1mcy.jpg

Here's one more with the Weber logo temporarily put in place. I am experimenting with my collection of logos, but more on that later.

2e3oitg.jpg

I am going to start a separate thread about the MAROON vs RED color mystery:cool:

That looks really nice. BTW for cleaning the inside you could simply have used a cold type spray on oven cleaner. It would have taken that inner baked on mess right sown to the shiny

When I rehab one of these grills, I use simple green and kitchen grade steel wool to clean the inside of the lid. I have yet to trash the porcelain. That stuff is pretty dang tough. BUt, even with the HD steel wool, it takes a lot of work and elbow grease. I have tried oven clean. A couple different brands and don't find them to be any more effective. They might get some of the softer, greasy stuff off easily, but, for me, they don't seem to do anything special to the carbonized layer baked onto the inside of the lid.

Believe me, I am not an environmental freek and if I could find something that worked, even if it was less environmentally friendly, I would buy and use it.

Sometimes it is more what owners DONT DO to the grills that is criminal. I picked up a 2007 Genesis E310 last night. It clearly wasn't cleaned out in it's ten years of use and wasn't ever covered or cleaned between uses. Everything was a mess. The grease pan is full and the drain pan is so full of grease, rust, gunk, grill parts and silverware, that I can't even pull it out without going in through the top to clean some of the junk out. The Flavorizer bars are trashed. It looks like a couple of them even Melted. One was fully gone and in the grease drain pan. The burners barely light and are rusted out and otherwise covered in gunk. As expected, the cabinet is full of grease, dirt, leaves and other debris and is rusted pretty bad. Seriously, I don't think this grill ever was cleaned out. Then, probably the worst thing is that the previous owner had obviously been careless when opening the hood. The hood stops on both sides of the cook box were broken out. So, this grill is clearly going to wind up being a parts grill. I have another identical E310 that will be the beneficiary. It does have what looks like Stainless Steel cook grates and otherwise doesn't look too bad on the outside.

The guy that had it said "I just didn't want to deal with it and am going to buy a new one in the spring". He didn't look like the type of guy that would be afraid to replace some burner tubes or flavorizer bars, but I guess he just didn't care to dig into the grease and gunk. Oh, the broken lid stops were probably part of it as well.

NhqufbF.jpg

LlfnBnT.jpg

n4ybQtH.jpg

zjOD2XX.jpg

VvzyiLj.jpg

FIcva7f.jpg

d8Gz7WP.jpg

GvA9Fps.jpg

RXxlkOD.jpg

Back