Love my Q!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I told the story in an earlier thread of rescuing a red-head Weber Q 200 that I got from our thrift store for $10. I have used it A LOT, and the more I do the more I like it. The construction is perfect for our miserable South Florida environment: all aluminum and plastic. No painted or "powder coated" steel or any other ready to rust material of consequence. Do a reasonable job of keeping it clean (which is relatively easy) and you will have a grill for years to come. Not only that, you can take it with you - trips, picnics, etc.

Here's my Sunday lunch ready to come hot off the grill:

wrzyaa.jpg

The 200/2000 series is a nice compromise allowing portability with a more generous amount of space. I know some have complained about inadequate BTUs, but it works decent enough to me. Today's lunch seems to confirm that:D! The 3200s are drool-worthy, but you sacrifice a fair amount of portability. Before I fixed up this grill, I would never have given much thought to owning a Q, but now I am a believer:weberq:!

Ive used many different grills both gas and coals but my little baby Q1200 outperforms them all for smaller cooks. Now I only fire up my kamado for spareribs, pork butts and briskets and I take my babyQ camping with me always. It's an amazing little cooker. Check out the fire escape griller on youtube. He does amazing things with his baby Q and all thru a window on his fire escape in Brooklyn.
d9U1g5G.jpg

Last edited:
Link doesn't work. I agree fully with how well made and handy the Q line is. Sadly given the direction Weber is going as a company I am sure it will not be long they begin producing them in China out of stamped sheet steel that is powder coated and tripling the price to boot

I have been using a Q100 for over ten years as my primary grill....my only grill for much of that time. It needs a new grate soon, but other than that, it has been very reliable, convenient and effective for me. If you just want to grill up meat for a few people, they can't be beat.
Even though I am having a lot of fun with the Genesis 1000 that I restored this past spring, I won't give up the Q. I may go to a Q2xxx if I ever decide to replace it.

I picked up a q200 several years ago on CL for $50 (stand included). At the time, it was just another good deal, and I wanted to add a Q to my arsenal. I had no idea how much I would use, of fall in love with that little grilling machine!! It has seen countless tailgating trips, and has toured all over the east coast in our camper. For our family of 4, plus our friends, it is the perfect size and weight for our needs. We use it so often, a couple of my friends have had me find them a q2oo on CL as well!!

I agree Chang. It takes so long to use up a tank on my Q100, I totally forget to ever check it. The only time it uses much gas at all is when I leave it on after a cook to burn off the stuck on crud and forget about it until the next day and find it still on when I go out to cook. hahaha. I have often thought about putting a fresh tank on my Q100 and letting it burn until it runs out. I think I have done two days straight before on high.

Back