WiFi not working with HeaterMeter v4.3 and Raspberry Pi Zero W

Markus Haapala

Hi gurus,

I just finished building a Heatermeter v4.3 with a Raspberry Pi Zero W. The system, including a Microdamper, seems to work otherwise but it will not connect to WiFi. I have tried an image from https://heatermeter.com/dl/ and one from https://heatermeter.com/devel/release/bcm2708/ with no luck. WiFi settings in confix.txt are according to the instructions and I tried to connect to my Wifi also after disabling WPA2 in my WiFi router.
I have no experience of Linux or projects similar to this. Maybe this partial log from the startup helps to see what’s going on.

KWg4lTnUJrqf5MofR1H6oUEPm88PN2dXU59TkKkJ0i3mQoCL_u7u0vAtGmg69pqyG144tbnniqX6Z6uPLUnI2O216rjnWLQ3ZH-YhKnAkAmkOcZAE3UW5ghnrSUtfDt8lARJuf6T41h-aTYNMPb1BW6R2Z7XE2noIdy9wGdQWjsPMuqfRLqRMOxBK6MjbTjgC6K0hj_T97bSJgzuGuM4EgMe0JvTsC-EGzJ1e2dfU87Zsz3hwiqBXQ0cqPeFRx6ai4pJKKazRXUGZfj2tA7ESd5QTis7SqseyxLg2WJBz3c00ucqvapg-yKHXbt66ZZRMhhLyi9wAV8KUfpgjEMXxGuhRIU1P4YC7A2_RABTbIUz16Puf-hiDiwKiIvl4FKtAeeV4SAIePc7zQLENMDB_PVa3oOZIbVr0OUH3YIka9m9sMzb3k2-kvfZ1bXH0qSg6oT4RyUxgHg_zqF5KeOZ_orAgbwgNuXzjDLiFiP8hEppcK6_YhXpP_yqSsdSeQ26djKzxeP6Dcb4R-aWl1C02oPSKWkDm9yzjaJoE4lTjXZPyc5_ccLLMlsb5xE1CSCu_uo3122duJp80KqImpBXA5hCNOFXpyHvnQnCuDz7wO0=w1472-h974-no

What might be wrong?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Last edited:
There had been an issue with the image not booting on certain pi-w's, but I am pretty sure Bryan fixed that up. Though I am not sure if it is fixed on the release version, beta version or both.

I would suggest you try the most recent beta, make sure you select the proper target board, try the pre-configured wifi in client mode making sure to select the proper security mode, if that doesnt work then try the release version. If neither of them work then try an Access Point build, after giving the rpi time to boot use a wifi device to scan for available networks looking for HEATERMETER, if you see it connect. Once connected you can go to Config/Networ/WIFI and scan for and connect to your wireless router.

You could also plug an HDMI monitor into the rPi to observe and see if it is booting all the way.

If none of this works I have an older snapshot image that seems to work with every version of the pi-w, shoot me an email at rotodamper AT Hot Mail DOT com and I can send you a link to DL that image.

Apparently the picture didn't work first.

I got it working now. I got elsewhere a suggestion to set a low number for WiFi channel and I set it to 3. Not sure if that was the trick but I got the Heatermeter working as AP, changed it to client mode via a browser, and now it works as a client.

Start simple, set the rpi up in AP mode, then connect to it, not the other way around. If it cant host it's own AP, then you can dig further in to it.

Back