The Day after Turkey Day

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We went to the new home of our friends that just moved here from Idaho for T-day. Had a great time and a wonderful turkey dinner so Friday was our day for the turkey cook at home.
We’ve done this Weber recipe for thanksgiving the past three years on the performer and really like it.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey-with-pan-gravy

This year I thought I’d try my Weber kettle gasser because it does whole chickens perfectly, I thought I would give it a try.
Thursday before we went to our friend’s home we got all the sides made except the green beans and rolls for our Friday cook.

Thursday started off fairly well until disaster struck and a trip to the emergency room at the local hospital was needed.
Barb was slicing some yams when her finger got in the way. Six stiches and two hours later we were back at it.
26861402229_645108da2f_z.jpg

Friday
The kettle gasser did an excellent job a 15 pound bird done to perfection in a little over two hours. Used apple for the smoke.
Super moist and tasty.

Barb did the yams, homemade honey cheddar cheese rolls, green beans with homemade bacon and from scratch pumpkin pie
I did the fresh cranberries with mandarin oranges and the dressing.
Except for the oranges nothing out of a can or box and was it ever good.

Here’s a few pictures of the cook.

24764993478_53eda05947_z.jpg

24764992448_5aa5b540e0_z.jpg

38605044662_fd1a876836_z.jpg

26861412029_dc923d63f7_z.jpg

26861410309_560f97b0ab_z.jpg

26861408519_d3612a543f_z.jpg

26861406709_734bc84786_z.jpg

26861405019_292a3ac380_z.jpg

Credit goes to so many forum members that have shared their experience, wisdom and recipes on here. Barb and I are thankful for that because almost everything in our dinner was learned from this forum.

Last edited:
Yeouch!! Bummer start to your day after turkey day Barb. Sorry to see that. On the bright side, looks like Rich gets to do all the dishes for a couple of weeks! Beautiful job on your turkey dinner, both of you. Kudos for pulling it off after the inauspicious start you got Barb. Hope it's feeling better soon.

Rich....Barb's a real trooper after getting 6 stitches and continuing an with the day after Thanksgiving cook. I could eat a plate of the Turkey and fixings goodness for breakfast right now.

Gorgeous plate, there, Rich! Sorry to hear of Barb's mishap, but be glad it didn't end with a batch of pink mashed potatoes (yes, that has happened to me!)

Enjoy your leftovers!

R

Yeouch!! Bummer start to your day after turkey day Barb. Sorry to see that. On the bright side, looks like Rich gets to do all the dishes for a couple of weeks! Beautiful job on your turkey dinner, both of you. Kudos for pulling it off after the inauspicious start you got Barb. Hope it's feeling better soon.

Thanks Cliff for the dish washing hint to Barb and did you notice what finger it is and Barb keeps showing it to me. Now if I get dish pan hands I'm holding you responsible.:p ;)

Ouch, I didn't need to see the picture of her finger. The rest of the pic's look great.

everything looks delicious, other than Barb's finger :) (hope the pain/discomfort/annoyance goes away soon).

I cut myself pretty bad with a butter knife one time while stabbing a baked potato so don't be embarrassed Barb :)

So sorry Barb. Last year I sliced my finger to the bone while slicing up my turkey. I managed to get a video of it on my phone while bleeding. I will spare every one the carnage. All I could think about was the movie UHF by Weird Al when the shop teacher cut his finger off with the table saw. Great looking rolls and bird.

Food looks terrific!

Ouch! I did a number on that same finger earlier this year. I got Barb beat on stitches. I dropped a rock on mine. A very big rock. Ever heard the term stuck between a rock and a hard place? Yeah the hard place was a concrete retaining wall. Blew out the side of my finger. 28 stitches later... Still don't have all the feeling back in it. Doc says it could take years.

Back