Source for Brinkmann 812-0002 water pans?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I'd like to replace the water pan on my pre-2009 18" WSM to increase capacity. Chris has a nice page detailing a modification which is just a direct swap of the Weber water pan for the Brinkmann 812-0002 water pan. But I can't find any of these anywhere. All I see is a Brinkmann 812-0004 which doesn't appear to be as wide.

It’s on amazon right now

I will add too added one to my WSM about a year ago and it makes it a lot easier to load up a ton of charcoal in it for long cooks. I’ve cooked for 17 hours off of one load because of how much higher you can stack it.

I am curious; for those whom have replied do you never use water, sometimes use water, or always use water. Early-on, I often fussed with vents to maintain temps. Then one day I foiled a dry pan and have done so for the past year with pleasing results. But sometimes I wonder if this success is attributed to no water, a little more experience--including being less anal--or better performance by way of seasoned bullets.

I am curious; for those whom have replied do you never use water, sometimes use water, or always use water. Early-on, I often fussed with vents to maintain temps. Then one day I foiled a dry pan and have done so for the past year with pleasing results. But sometimes I wonder if this success is attributed to no water, a little more experience--including being less anal--or better performance by way of seasoned bullets.

Why don't you post this as a new thread as you'll probably get more response than on a replacement water pan thread.

Just to add, if anyone is looking for the Brinkmann charcoal pan, Sports Authority used to carry them, although they may be long gone by now.

In the old days, many hardware stores carried porcelain wash pans. I wonder if one of those would fit the 18" WSM? (provided the pans are still available)

Last edited:
I'm bumping an older thread here, but is it possible to use the top of a Smoky Joe for a water pan in the 18" WSM? One would have to foil over the vent holes of course, but didn't Weber use these lids for water pans in previous versions of the 18" WSM?

I'm bumping an older thread here, but is it possible to use the top of a Smoky Joe for a water pan in the 18" WSM? One would have to foil over the vent holes of course, but didn't Weber use these lids for water pans in previous versions of the 18" WSM?

This should work. If I had a SJ I'd give it a try, but I don't...I guess you'd hack off the lid handle?

This should work. If I had a SJ I'd give it a try, but I don't...I guess you'd hack off the lid handle?

Exactly what I was thinking beforehand.

Shouldn't be a big issue though, or maybe just remove any non-metallic parts. The hook inside the lid may need to be removed too.

Back