Bacon with red spot

MarkMac

TVWBB Member
Making bacon for probably the 10th time using the easy method here.

After 7 full days in cure, One of the belly 1/3 has an odd red spot. I used pure maple suyrup and maple sugar, which I’ve used before (along with proper ratio of cure). Other 2 pieces look normal.

Any thoughts as to why this one spot is red and not uniform like rest? It feels same as the rest of the belly. The only other thing I can see is that on the opposite side fr9m the spot, there is a deep cut in the Fat. When applying the cure I opened that flap and applied cure there as well. However I’ve had similar belly’s in the past with a deep cut and applied the same, but again never saw a spot like this.

As you can see below, there is a slight red near the other end, but not as noticeable.

negn09.jpg

It appears that it may be too much cure in that particular area. Doesn't say it's bad (ie that you shouldn't eat it) so I would say "no worries".
In addition, nitrite or nitric oxide contamination from water, spices, or processing equipment can also cause nitrosylhemochromagen to form a cured pink color.

https://meat.tamu.edu/2013/03/21/persistent-pinkness-ground-beef-patties/

just to follow up. I smoked it and after smoking I couldn't see any difference in color, everything was uniform. However when slicing, I noted in that area it seemed more 'cooked' and dry at the surface. I think it was more cure in that spot.

Back