Q3200 or a pair of q1200

Rogan in NZ

Hi all, first post here.

Putting a pool and outdoor bar area into our back grden. Have 3 kids aged 9,7,7 so expecting to live outside in summer.

Im planning the outdoor bar build at the moment and cn't figure out what I need. I'm used to lid open grilling so the weber style is foreign to me. We expect to have friends over regularly so need capacity for say 6 adults + 8 kids.

Food style is hamburgers / sausages/ fries / skewers / rotisserie and roast meats. Weber q will be the only cooking facility outdoor - ie no sideburners etc

Thinking about a q3200, but would a pair of q1200 be a better idea? Can someone help me out with pros and cons

Thanks in advance

Hi, I currently only have experience with the 200/2000 series Q, but I have looked at both the 1000 and the 3200 in stores. It seems to me that a 3200 Q would make more sense since you would have just one grill and one tank to deal with. I also think the two burner configuration would give you more flexibility, such as limited indirect cooking, but as I said I have only looked at them. Others who have used them do seem to report favorably about the 3200. The Qs are great grills. I would be tempted to suggest you consider a larger Weber such as the Genesis II if they are available in NZ, but really the big Q has plenty of cooking surface and no painted steel to rust away. I think you will really like it.

Last edited:
For your description the Q (any Q) is not a good choice. You should find yourself a good old style Genesis i.e. I, II, III or 1000, 2000, 3000, etc. Best to find one with a side burner too given what your description is. Otherwise for versatility the Q3xxx is better but I would recommend 2 of those NOT one.

Q300 series for the “big” cooks, Q100 for the “small” cooks as well as the portability the 100 series offers for camping or tailgating —-

Thanks for all the advice. We do have Genesis over here so that's an option.

I'll look into those on my next visit to the shops.

Thanks

Genesis and a Q1200 might even be an option. But, I think the Genesis would be my choice if you want just one grill. You can just use one or two burners for smaller cooks on the Genesis or fire it all up for a larger cook.

But, like Lmichaels says, I would go with an older model. Find a good Genesis (1000-5000) or Genesis Silver A or B. You should be able to pick up on in very good condition for under $200 and IMO, they are preferable to the newer Genesis grills, especially when you factor in cost.

Nice. That will be a great deal if all the internals are in good shape. I am not big into the two burners.

The B is a 3 burner. It's currently sitting in the back of my Highlander. CI grates other than a tiny bit of surface rust (a heat up, brush and oil) that will be easily be taken care of. All the FB's but one are in good shape. Burners looked solid and quite clean and the flip up side table looks just great. Once I have it outta the car I'll shoot some photos and post in the other forum. It will serve my needs while the Summit gets ton down to nuts and bolts next spring for a thorough refurb, followed by a full tear down of the Wolf so I can do a deep clean on it and modify the fire box to take a different type of electronic ignitor from the Grand Hall line of grills. The darn things from Wolf are like $80 EACH! I have been doing without. Long stick lighter. But I want to simplify it's use. Same for the Summit. It needs new ignitors so push button ignition can work again. Lots of work on those 2 next year. Once they're done I'll do a quick refurb of the Genesis B and sell it. I am bound to get my investment back easily on it considering how little work it needs and only $20 initial investment

Yah, a "B" is a three burner...duh. I was just looking at an add for a Silver A and I guess my mind was still there.
Anyway, thats great the internals are good on it. You won't have any trouble cleaning it up and flipping it for a nice profit. I will be looking forward the pictures, before and after of that and your other grills next spring.

Back