Propane valve question....unsure where to post.

Michael Roberts

TVWBB Fan
I have a Weber Flame and am curious to know if I should close the propane tank valve each time I shut it off? I have 3 Q300's that are used for tailgating though we remove the tanks each time so they're not always connected. The Flame tank is always connected and I don't know if I should leave the propane tank valve to "open" all the time? Advice or suggestions?

I do not close the tank valve on my Weber Spirit unless I think I own't be using it for many weeks. I always have a nagging feeling I should do it for safety sake, or in case of a slow leak.

The owner's manual sez:

STORAGE AND/OR NON USE

• The gas must be turned off at the liquid propane cylinder when the Weber® gas fireplace is not in use.
  • When the Weber® gas fireplace is stored indoors, the gas supply must be DISCONNECTED and the LP cylinder stored outdoors in a well-ventilated space.
  • LP cylinder must be stored outdoors in a well-ventilated area out of reach of children. Disconnected LP cylinder must not be stored in a building, garage or any other enclosed area.
  • When the LP cylinder is not disconnected from the Weber® gas fireplace, the appliance and LP tank must be kept outdoors in a well-ventilated space.

Yup, my tanks are outside in a ventilated area. And I always turn the appliance gas off first and then the tank. Always. Why risk anything for a few seconds of your time ?

thanks everyone for the advice. I felt I should turn the valve off though wasn't really sure if it was a necessity. I see safety as the primary reason to turn it off.

I also always turn off the gas at the tank for the safety reasons mentioned previously. I turn off the gas at the tank first and let the flame go out. Then I turn off the control on the grill. I like the safety of knowing that no gas is in the hose. Probably over kill but I do it anyway.

I also always turn off the gas at the tank for the safety reasons mentioned previously. I turn off the gas at the tank first and let the flame go out. Then I turn off the control on the grill. I like the safety of knowing that no gas is in the hose. Probably over kill but I do it anyway.

The only gasser that I use is an old Char-Broil at my dad's house, in fact, I'll be cooking some NY Strips there later this evening. I use the above method everytime. Always remember:

image007.jpg

BD

The above mentioned way of turning off the gas presents a problem in that you must turn the gas on at least 5 minutes before you cook so the pressure can equalize. The amount of gas remaining in the grill most likely is not of any danger to speak of. But if yer comfortable doing it that way, have at it.

I've never had a problem lighting the grill. Open the tank valve, turn the left burner to "Light" and push the red button once or twice. I've been doing it that way for at least 35 years, on a dozen different grills, without an issue. Is that a Weber thing? I've never even heard of "equalizing the pressure." But then again, I've never cooked on a Weber gas grill.

Not saying it's not true, just that I've never heard of it.

BD

there's a safety in the propane tank's valve that's there to stop the flow in case the tank is opened without a hose connected or if the hose was cut or some other reason for gas to rapidly flow out. Once the tank has been in place & connected & the valves opened etc, grill used, then it doesn't seem so picky.

The portable grills, I can only speak for the Q100 with an adapter to use a regular tank: I had to set that up & leave it without touching it for 1 hour, or the gas flow would be anemic, if the grill would start at all. I did a hose / regulator mod found here to make it friendlier.

I don't have problems with my silver B, but I turn mine off each time, mainly because it's one more step reduce the times I go to start the grill & see the burners all left on, same as the tank (empty tank).

If you want to try to simulate the problem, open all your gas valves on the grill, & then open the valve on your tank real fast, that might show you how the safety works in your propane tank.

Pretty sure it's the OPD valve

https://youtu.be/5cgeNzrYa6Q

Back