Temperature Control Issues

Justin Kimak

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving...

I have smoked 2 turkeys in the WSM 18.5 and haven't ever had issues controlling temperature. For some reason the smoker will not keep/hold above 300 degrees. (Note that outdoor temp is 32-35 degrees with a light breeze)

I've added additional fuel to the smoker and stolen the hell out of it to get the coals good and hot, but they continue to drop between the 260-275 range.

I know I'm in the middle of the cook but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Justin

Thanks for the quick responses.. I've tried opening the side door a time or two but every time I put it back on, the temp slowly drops again.

All 3 bottom vents are 100% open.

I'll try to crack both the side door and top to see if it'll promote better air circulation.

Thanks again!

I'm having similar issues. I just put another full chimney of lit on and it seems to be sitting at 350 now. I've got a skewer under the lid. I was going to cook on the kettle and changed my mind last minute. Now I'm going to fight this thing the whole cook.

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving...

I have smoked 2 turkeys in the WSM 18.5 and haven't ever had issues controlling temperature. For some reason the smoker will not keep/hold above 300 degrees. (Note that outdoor temp is 32-35 degrees with a light breeze)

I've added additional fuel to the smoker and stolen the hell out of it to get the coals good and hot, but they continue to drop between the 260-275 range.

I know I'm in the middle of the cook but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Justin

Justin,

There are three (3) in...ies and only one (1) out...ies on my 18.5 WSM. Smoke range on the lid temperature indicator is 200-275 degrees F. Have always considered the mentioned clue #1.

You will have to experiment. Leave the water pan out......see what happens. Try a stoker and leaving the water pan out.

When the snow & winter weather is gone from my 4200 foot plus altitude, I want to go for the higher temps, but play with a chicken or two first. Get it down pat.....then the big bird for turkey day....if'en a reasonable 325 or so is possible.

Good Luck & Happy Turkey Day,

CraigH, in La Pine

This is why I did the two screw mod to my door. It allows you to prop or crack the door open to help boost temps. Its just one more tool you can use if you need to. I don't have a problem doing high temps in Nebraska winters.

Last edited:
After-event debriefing here. I had a similar issue. First time it's happened, though it's also the first time I've tried to hit 325F in colder weather. My previous turkeys were done in balmy southern California so the temperature wasn't a problem. I tried knocking off ash (the WSM had already been going for a couple hours doing ABTs). I added more unlit charcoal. I added more lit charcoal. I took a propane torch to the unlit. None of it really helped. Finally I cracked the lid and that did the trick. I had to leave it resting up on one edge a bit to keep enough air flow going. Fortunately the turkey finished roughly according to schedule even with the lower than desired initial cooking temp.

I encountered the same thing. Was cooking a spatchcocked bird, shooting for 325 on a 40 degree day in the shade. Two vents wide open, BBQ Guru in the third. Propped the lid a quarter inch with some foil, but could not get the thing over 280. Even dumped a half chimney of well lit coals. Gave up after an hour and finished it in the oven.

Back