Trying a new skirt steak appetizer for TG

Alan, those look great! I may need to borrow that one for an upcoming steak night!

R

Wow, thanks for the details, Alan! Will read this more thoroughly before I give it a whirl!

R

Wow nice cook & pics. I have mirin & 2+ kinds of miso on hand, not sure I've ever heard of shisho, I'll have to look into that.

You have what you need, sans the shiso, but you can get it at a Japanese market, or an Asian market. Should be one in SLC.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Japanese+Market&find_loc=Salt+Lake+City,+UT

Once you do it it will be easy to make the sauce. It's dead simple. I usually use the darker miso, opposed to the lighter color that seems more typical for South Japan, like Kagoshima area.

My wife uses that one to do a dish called ton-kotsu, which literally translates to pork bones. They cut it flanken, and section it off into individual bone/meat sections. My wife just leaves the spareribs whole and cooks them in a large ceramic pot. This is a stewed dish that cooks for about 5 or 6 hours with daikon (radish) and konnyaku (yam starch). Even Japanese folks are not often familiar with this dish, it is not served throughout Japan too often, but my Father-In-Law is from Kagoshima and they have cooked it for me as they know how much I like ribs.

My wife makes her own miso, it takes about 6 months to ferment.

Sounds delicious. I read about making my own miso in Wild Fermentation..... I checked your link & I saw the Asian market I've only been to a handful of times, but I drive by it at least a few times per week. I'll pop in this week. Flank & Skirt are easy to find nearby, as well as at Restaurant Depot. I made pinwheels 2-3 years ago, your pics are making me want to try again, this time with new flavors.

Back