Rotisserie Turkey

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All I'm roistering a 8 lb turkey breast and putting 2 legs in a flat basket. The breast came already brined.
I'm thinking the legs should be done before the breast? Rotisserie will cooking at 325-350,any idea's on how long it will take before the legs are done.?
Happy T day to all!@!
Thanks Dan

I'm looking for a way to attach the basket cross way on the split?
Dan

Maybe post a pic of what you have and what you're trying to do?

Re: NO REPLIES -------->maybe no one has tried to do what you're trying to do? Sometimes answers are slow to come. Patience
is a virtue grass hopper ;)

I've done many turkeys on the spit, but whole, small (say 10 pounds) turkeys, not parts. Over both gas and charcoal. They all turn out great. Good luck.

Maybe post a pic of what you have and what you're trying to do?

Re: NO REPLIES -------->maybe no one has tried to do what you're trying to do? Sometimes answers are slow to come. Patience
is a virtue grass hopper ;)
Here is a pic of what I'm trying to accomplish.. Sorry bout the size. Just wondering "IF" it will work. Only problem I see is getting the legs off first.
Thanks Dan

BxsQKAJ.jpg

Last edited:
Are you trying to "rotisserie" it or is it just a "tray" that isn't going to rotate on the spit (not split)? If rotisserie, will it clear the lower stone?saucer? Can't really tell.

Last edited:
Are you trying to "rotisserie" it or is it just a "tray" that isn't going to rotate? If rotisserie, will it clear the lower stone?saucer? Can't really tell.

Hi Trying too rotisserie.. That pic was on my work table, will have plenty of clearance , when I put it on my WSM..I'm worried about a leg or the breast coming off. Going to put in the bottom grate just in case.
Thanks Dan

If you can do the roto (your pic looks like you can), then consider:

1)consider tying each part to the cage with butcher twine--you should be high enough above any "shooting grease flames" to avoid having the twine catching fire even with the skin still on the parts.

or

2) use a metal skewer(s) to pin each piece against the cage. OR even shiskabob sticks if you don't have skewers.

I'd use (1).

Last edited:
I'm going to do the legs in the oven and the breast on the rotisserie. Don't want to take any chances.
Thanks Dan

Might work if you split the breast in half, so the height of the meats is close to the same, Nevertheless good luck!!!

I love roti turkey but have never tried it the way you are. I think the 2 hour estimate is probably pretty close, but I always cook by temp and not by time. When I think it's time to check I stop the roti and insert the thermometer to get the current temp, then I just estimate how much longer and check a few more times till it's done. If your legs and breast don't finish at the same time just take off the finished part and wrap it up good in foil and a towel and wait for the rest to get done. I think the legs and breast will all finish within probably 30 minutes of each other.

Hi All Breast came out good in the rotisserie, but the legs in oven were just OK..
Dan

Been away for a while so I didn't see the update on how things turned out. Next time I wouldn't hesitate to do the legs and breasts together if I were you. I've done a fair number of whole turkeys on the roti and have never had a problem getting everything done together. The roti method is very forgiving since it self bastes whatever you have on it. Glad the breast turned out good, but you missed a real treat by not having the legs on the roti with some wood smoke added. Smoked dark turkey meat is the best, and done on a roti really keeps it moist.

Been away for a while so I didn't see the update on how things turned out. Next time I wouldn't hesitate to do the legs and breasts together if I were you. I've done a fair number of whole turkeys on the roti and have never had a problem getting everything done together. The roti method is very forgiving since it self bastes whatever you have on it. Glad the breast turned out good, but you missed a real treat by not having the legs on the roti with some wood smoke added. Smoked dark turkey meat is the best, and done on a roti really keeps it moist.

HI Maybe next time a whole turkey on the rotisserie.
Dan

Back