Help, birds on smoker right now

Jim Mann

Two questions for the brain trust. I have the WSM fired up, two medium birds 12 and 14 lbs. the 14 is on top rack with the Maverick Meat Thermometer.

Question 1 - Which rack gets and stays hotter, the lower or upper rack? I have the probe in the upper rack breast, set at 175 degrees to start. I normally play by sight and touch, but the web site here says to get the breast to 175 to make sure the dark gets done. Should the dark be at 165 or so if the breast is at 175? Should I set the breast to Q165 and just foil it for the last 30 tp 40 minutes. I am trying for the hotter fire approach today, a first for me.

Question 2. I just had my own left shoulder totally replaced, and am not supposed to be lifting much. However, I nearly dropped a bird a while ago and flinched myself into enormous pain. Both turkeys were the type with a certain percentage of solution added, so I could not brine. I did a dry rub and Cajun Butter injection, which has worked great in my past. If I pull both turkeys off at a certain point, foil wrap and finish in oven, will this screw things up, or hasten the birds to dry out? Thanks, Jim

Agreed about breast at 160-165. If it's cooking too fast make a foil shield to put over the breast. You do want that thigh meat hotter if you can manage it. I believe the top rack is usually hotter that the bottom but not by much.

Back