Hello from Dubai

Don Franco

Hello Everyone,
My name is Franco, a Scotsman living in Dubai for the past 14 years.

I fell in love with smoked meat during a visit to Texas in 2006, promptly bought a 18" WSM in 2007 and never looked back.

I've been refining my skills over the years, and probably bbq once a month on average.

My go to dishes are pork ribs and boneless ham, which I have down to a fine art (if I do say so myself).

Living in the middle east, everything is imported, and that means expensive! While we can get brisket on order, at $17 per Kg its only a few dollars short of prime cuts like sirloin and ribeye; so that's what I tend to use.

Biggest challenge I have is managing temperatures in the high ambient heat and humidity over here. Planning a Temp Gauge mod to my WSM shortly to address the issue.

I came across this site about 10 years ago when I cooked my first turkey, and still follow the Apple Brine recipe from here to this day. Very happy to join this community and share in the love of smoking with everyone.

Happy smoking all!

Welcome!
I hear you about low and slow in high heat climates!
Your climate will even be worse than mine

Welcome Don!

You and Anne need to add a refrigeration unit to your WSMs to keep the temperatures DOWN! Or figure out how to drop charcoal and go SOLAR. :D

tG7O9Oz.jpg

Back