Weber Charcoal - $12/bag at Lowe's

I really like it! HH or L&S, it works very well - way better than Kingsford or Stubbs. It's a pure hardwood briquette. TBS in about 2/3 the time of KBB. Very little ash. Burns a long time.

Dangit, I just bought a 2-bag Kingsford at full price at Lowes as I was running out. I didn't see any of that Weber stuff there. Probably closing it out for the season.

Just bought some at Lowe`s. Bought 4 bags. 12 bucks for a twenty lb. bag is a good price. I like Stubbs also but they haven`t run any specials yet. Weber charcoal takes longer to light than KBB or Stubbs but once lit burns longer.

Thx for the heads up...I bought 4 packs. I must say I wish this was the regular price point for this product as it is by FAR my favorite briquettes....everything else is a distant second...my opinion of course.

Did anybody happen to read the reviews on Lowes website? I read a few and one fella claims he got 50+ hours out of approx 17lbs of charcoal (225*) in his BGE and flame boss.

This is for Alan D. Yes this is very good charcoal so grab it while it is on sale. Yes it is borderline expensive at regular price but they say all natural hardwood, to me that's a big plus.

Now I can tell you the rest of the story. I had written a good post previous but it didn`t take than kicked me off. Anyhow filled chimney 3/4 full with weber briq using a 22 inch kettle with slow n sear and chef alarm. Windy and cold in Pa. Low 40`s and 10-20 mph winds. Maintain 330, 1 hr for 4 russet potatoes, 1 hr for 4 chicken breast, 1/2 hr to eat. Kept kettle fired after pulling chicken so I could go back out and clean grates for the turkey tomorrow. So we have 2 1/2 hrs burn time in the wind with 3/4 chimney full and I had enough fire left to do hamburgers and dogs if I wished. Weber briq take more time to light than KBB or Stubbs, which was my favorite but I`m really liken the Weber charcoal. They also burn much hotter. Happy Thanksgiving.

Just picked up 3 bags tonight I couldn't believe the price. It's my first time trying this charcoal. I usually use Kingsford. I'm going to do a brisket tonight so we'll see how this goes.

GFniwHv.jpg

Last edited:
I am very impressed with this charcoal. I'm getting temperatures like I've never seen. Usually I have to open all three vents at the bottom of the Smoky Mountain and the vent at the top to get to the upper level of the smoke range especially in the winter time. I have two of three bottom vents closed and the top vent a third of the way closed and it's still trying to find its way out of the top level of the smoke range. This charcoal burns hot and long.

Oops. Thank goodness for the iGrill mini i saw my meat temperature hit 185F and then start dropping. The coals were smothering and going out because i closed the vents too much!

The bag itself is top notch too. It is not just paper that can allow humidity to pass - it is some kind of tough plastic. And it has a closable opening to keep it sealed. I'm getting more.

The bag itself is top notch too. It is not just paper that can allow humidity to pass - it is some kind of tough plastic. And it has a closable opening to keep it sealed. I'm getting more.

YES! I noticed right away that some bags might have a tear in them, but if the bag is still "smushed" and vacuum sealed looking then they are still water tight. I love that because I store my charcoal in a rubbermaid tool bin thingy...it's not water tight but keeps things dry..

I've been storing a few bags just out in the open since they have that plastic bag. No issues with water.

I do not know the hardwood.

I just did a 12 hour brisket cook. Started with an almost-full chamber on my 18" WSM, and dumped a full chimney starter on top to form an overflowing chamber. After my 12 hour smoke I removed the brisket and closed off the vents. The next morning I still had 1/2 the chamber with full of unburnt coals. So it does pretty good.

The Weber charcoal is AWESOME! It burns hot & long. I haven’t found another brand that burns as consistent and as long in the briquette form as Weber. I won’t go back to Kingsford or Royal Oak. TOO MUCH ASH for me! Makes me wonder what is going into my food. The ash waste, eats the galvanized plating off my ash bucket. The price you see at Lowe’s now for the 20lb. Bag of Weber briquettes is the everyday low price of $11.99 a bag. Puts right in line with the others and it is a vastly superior coal in all ways. It does take a little longer to light, but when it does, it is all that and more! I am doing a brisket cook tonight for some good friends for their Super Bowl party, (I’ll grill for anyone, but I only BBQ for those I love & care for. It’s just too much work!) Using Cowboy brand Lump Southern Style 100% Oak/Hickory, minion method with Weber charcoal to start them. I’m thinking I probably won’t need much smoke wood and should burn very clean, is the big plus. I’ll post how it went after it’s all said & done. Blessing to all Go Pats!

Update: It’s 8:00am here in Sacramento and a few things I wanted to note. 1st, the lump charcoal worked well and I was able to hold temps down to 225 to 250, all night long which surprised me. I have heard that its difficult to keep temps down with lump. Started the brisket at 9:15pm yesterday, set up with my Thermoworks Smoke and we were chugging along nicely. I got up at 6:00am, and it was still ok. Not long after however, my temps started to drop to the upper 180’s, brisket was still at 150 where it had been for several hours so I decided to take some action. I saw I had plenty of coals but there was not enough lit to keep them going. So I added some Weber briquettes in the ring and some lit with the fire starter to boost the base. (Maybe 25 briquettes in all, wanted to make sure I had plenty for the duration of the cook) I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper and put the WSM back together and Temps now back up to a more realistic 275 to 300 to finish the cook. Will be headed to church soon and am confident everything will be lining up just the way it should be and have plenty of time for the brisket to rest, in the paper and foil pan, covered in towels in a cooler for at least a couple of hours. Thoughts: on low temps, lump will fizzle out sooner on longer overnight cooks. Maybe a mix of Weber briquettes and the Cowboy Lump? Hmmm? Stay tuned!

Final update: Well, 12:00 Noon in W. Sac and getting home from church, and alerts, buzzers going off on the TW Smoke base unit & receiver! It was just as I had planned & expected it to be. Grill temp was reading 246deg. & meat was at 201deg. PERFECT!! Couldn’t be more pleased with the results. One thing that I didn’t mention before, I did some WSM mods when I first joined TVWBB (THANK YOU CHRIS). I replaced the OEM hood thermometer with a Tel Tru 2.5” BQ225 for more accurate readings and what I found testing it against the Thermoworks Smoke registering at the grill, IT WAS SPOT ON!! It didn’t vary by 2 degrees. Very impressive. And for those who think you might want the bigger dial and the longer shaft thinking it will give you a better read, save your $$. The 2.5” fits on the stock bezel of the WSM hood, it looks good and is extremely accurate.

What have I learned? First, YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN get that clean burning blue smoke on your WSM. Here’s how you do it. I learned that Cowboy brand Lump (Southern Style) burns very clean and consistent exactly what I was trying to accomplish, although you can get 225-250 regular temps, it will fizzle out on an overnight cook.

Weber briquettes? Best briquettes by far. 100% hardwood, you can even hear them crackle a little when lighting, (I like that, believe they are what they say they are) they burn hot, CLEAN & long. VERY LITTLE ASH!! Going forward & after much experimenting, for long cooks, I am going to mix the 2. Going to put a layer of Weber briquettes on the bottom of the grate, fill it up the rest of the way with the Cowboy lump, create the hole in the middle for the minion method, light about 15 Weber briquettes to get the party started! This should give me the best of both worlds. The clean burn & flavor of the hickory/oak of the lump, and complete, even burn temps, with super clean results with the addition of the Weber briquettes. I won’t go back to Kingsford or Royal Oak. No offense to the die hards out there. I get it. For me, the ash and the eating of the galvanized coating of my ash can, along with the heavy smoke they create, is not what i’m Looking for. I hope this helps with some of the nu-bs and experienced bbq’rs as well. Bottom line, is Weber briquettes with the new everyday Lowe’s price point, is the only way to go. They also carry the Cowboy brand/Southern style Lump charcoal as well. $15.99 for 18lbs.
Rich Smokey blessings to everyone!

Last edited:
I went to Lowe's today to get some Weber charcoal because I ran out doing an overnight smoke brisket and they didn't have any so I bought some of the Royal Oak for four bucks a bag on sale because I wasn't going to stock up on Kingsford before the memorial day weekend sale. It finished off the brisket nicely

I know both of our home Depots and the one Lowes in town haven't carried Weber charcoal for months now. All three closed them out because of being to expensive and they weren't selling.

Back