? about apple brine recipe

PatM

Hi all,

Looking to smoke my first turkey this year. I decided I am gong to try the apple brine recipe. Looks somewhat fool proof, however I have a few questions.

At the top of the list is this quote from the recipe seems contradictory. Could someone please explain "Do not cover with foil, as this will cause the skin to go soft. Alternatively, wrap the turkey tightly in several layers of wide, heavy duty aluminum foil". Seems like they are immediately contradicting themselves.

Next question is that I have a 16lb turkey. Should I modify the recipe since it calls for 12-14lb turkey?

Final question, think a 5 gallon bucket is too big for the turkey? Will the turkey be fully submerged?

Any other pointers? Thanks all!

At the top of the list is this quote from the recipe seems contradictory. "Do not cover with foil, as this will cause the skin to go soft. Alternatively, wrap the turkey tightly in several layers of wide, heavy duty aluminum foil". Seems like they are immediately contradicting themselves.
If you plan to serve the turkey immediately, do not cover with foil after cooking because it will make the skin go soft. Just let it rest at room temp for 20-30 minutes before carving then serve.

If you plan to hold the turkey for up to 2 hours before serving, wrap it in foil and place it breast-side down in an empty cooler. You will sacrifice the quality of the skin, as it will go soft, but it will stay at a food safe temp for up to two hours this way.

I have a 16lb turkey. Should I modify the recipe since it calls for 12-14lb turkey?

Don't modify the brine recipe or the brine time. A slightly larger turkey will take slightly longer to cook.

Think a 5 gallon bucket is too big for the turkey? Will the turkey be fully submerged?

The photo in that article is of an almost 13 lb turkey in a 4 gallon bucket. Your 16 lb turkey in a 5 gallon bucket should be fine, just weigh it down with a plate(s) to keep it submerged. Or you can place the turkey in a Ziploc XL bag (available at Walmart), drop it in the bucket for support, then pour the brine mixture into the bag. Fill the area outside the bag with plain water to push excess air out of the bag, seal the bag, and refrigerate.

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy your turkey!

Back