Will minion method run WSM at 300 for whole chicken ?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I want to smoke a chicken tomorrow, maybe around 275 to 300. Unfortunately I only have about a half a bag of Kingsford but am thinking that will give me half a charcoal chamber which sounds like plenty for a 2 to 3 hour cook. Is that enough if I'm going to run the vents more open to get the higher burn? I'm more used to burn times when I'm sticking to 225 to 250.

Thanks

Do you have an 18" or 22"? I would think a 1/2 bag would be plenty for a chicken in an 18". However, when you say half a bag is about half a chamber, that sounds like a 22". That may be a stretch for a 22" to go 2-3 hours on half a chamber.

Hey, go for it. AND if you run out, just finish the bird in your oven at 325o. You've got enough smoke in it after 2 hr anyways so no worries :D

I'm with Len. But I believe that half of bag will last well into three hours. I fill my 18" charcoal basket only halfway for a 6 hour rib cook.

Probably too late, but half a bag should be plenty as long as you don't put water in the pan. I have great difficulty getting mine above 275F when using water. With a dry pan it's no problem getting to 400F if that's what I want. The burn rate to hit 300F with water in the pan would be quite high.

I started with about 20 lit, and temps stayed under 275 longer than I wanted. Eventually enough of them were going and I was able to stay around 280/290. I'm at 2.25 hour mark and probably have a 20 minutes to go. It was a large chicken.

Gettin' hungry... ��

No problem, I have done it many times for high heat and can get 3-4 hours easy and have coals left. I have the smaller/older 18.5" WSM which I use a Stoker with. If you're using briquettes, no issues either. I use almost all hardwood lump.

A chimney of lit on top of a ring of unlit is a great way to get 300+ in a WSM regardless of size. I recommend no water, sand, terra cotta saucer, or anything else in the pan, wide open vents and even a skewer laid horizontal between the lid and center section as required.

Last edited:

Back