PID ideas for the smoking jacket

NateSebold

TVWBB Member
Last winter I built a what I like to call a smoking jacket for my brinkmann. Two layers of water heater insulation with a wire frame interior for structure and a dryer vent on top for smoke. My smoker is pretty air tight and runs great with the RD3 setup in the summer season. I have learned a lot since last winter when I used the smoking jacket. If I was struggling to keep 200 going due to winter wind or temps and I put that thing on it would rocket past 400 in no time and then take forever to get back down and then a little bit of air would shoot it way back up.

Anyway here is what it looks like:

smoking_jacket.jpg

Now headed into this winters smoking season I have a couple of PID questions and the best way to use this weapon I have built. I think my PID values should be different and be similar to a smoker with a much thicker insulation. I am thinking BGE but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Also I have a much better air delivery system headed into this winter with the air headed straight onto the coals rather than just filling up the chamber. As I will be blowing very cold Vermont air during the winter should I lower my max fan speeds. Should I just try to run this smoking jacket with damper only??

During warm months I run P:4 I: .02 D:5 and fan on above 0% min 0% max 100% startupmax 100%

Not sure what to do with PID but I was thinking max 40% and startupmax 30%

Any help would be much appreciated!

Back