Dry Rubbed BB's, Beans and Bread

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Dry rubbed ribs and beans sounded really good. Pulled a rack of baby backs out of the freezer and got going. Saw some Jolly Green Giant packaged corn in the produce section of our market and threw on a couple of ears of that to. Lastly a loaf of Tartine Country Sourdough.

Made a really tasty rub for the ribs.

enhance

Rubbed down.

enhance

4 cups of Pintos and a ham hock.

enhance

Ribs on 18" WSM @ 250. Pecan for smoke.

enhance

Put about 2 inches of water over the dry beans, brought to a boil and then let simmer for around 4 hours.

enhance

Stirred periodically and kept an eye on the water.

enhance

enhance

enhance

After a couple of hours threw in some red bell pepper, diced onion and a bunch of garlic.

enhance

enhance

Last edited:
Added some water and resumed simmer.

enhance

At around the 4 hour mark on the ribs, took a peek and spritzed with a ac vinegar/water mixture, just to moisten a little.

enhance

Done.

enhance

Threw on the corn.

enhance

Quick, sloppy shot of slices.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

Did the bread in the morning.

enhance

enhance

I threw this shot in as I'm always amazed at how steady the WSM's hold temp. Cruised right at 250 until I pulled the lid to take picture and then do the spritzing. It jumped to 300 but was settling back nicely by the time the ribs were done.

enhance

Anyway, another cook in the tank. Loved the ribs and beans. Bread delicious too. Thanks for looking everyone!

4 cups of pintos and a ham hock walk into a bar....never mind:p
Great summer meal in November, looks really good Cliff and of course that bread. Nice!

A classic bbq meal done to perfection, Cliff! Did you do a cold retarded fermentation on that bread (bulk or in the basket?) Sure looks like it from the blisters you got.

I think I may need to drive to your place to grab a sample of your starter......yours is way more lively than mine judging by the rise you are getting.

What was the total time on the beans? Overnight soak before you started your initial simmer? I have tried many methods to do "one day" beans, but always seem to need a pre-soak and a LONG simmering time to get them tender enough.

R

Thanks guys!

A classic bbq meal done to perfection, Cliff! Did you do a cold retarded fermentation on that bread (bulk or in the basket?) Sure looks like it from the blisters you got.

I think I may need to drive to your place to grab a sample of your starter......yours is way more lively than mine judging by the rise you are getting.

What was the total time on the beans? Overnight soak before you started your initial simmer? I have tried many methods to do "one day" beans, but always seem to need a pre-soak and a LONG simmering time to get them tender enough.

R

You have quite an eye Rich. Did my final turn around 10:00 pm. Did a cold retarded fermention in the basket. Got it in the fridge at around 10 pm and baked at around 9 am the following morning. As for the beans, no pre-soak. About 4 hours total cooking time. After bringing to a rolling boil, reduced temp to a simmer, keeping and eye on the water. Your assistance with shaping, Rich, is what got me over the hump with naturally levained bread!

You have quite an eye Rich. Did my final turn around 10:00 pm. Did a cold retarded fermention in the basket. Got it in the fridge at around 10 pm and baked at around 9 am the following morning. As for the beans, no pre-soak. About 4 hours total cooking time. After bringing to a rolling boil, reduced temp to a simmer, keeping and eye on the water. Your assistance with shaping, Rich, is what got me over the hump with naturally levained bread!

Glad my obsessive Internet searching found us both a link that helped on the shaping! Makes a world of difference (along with the 30 other things that impact how each loaf turns out!) :)

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that it's my beans! I use the store brand dried ones, and I can tell you from experience that 4 hours just wouldn't be enough to make those things tender! Next time I'm going to experiment with a "pre-soak" in the pressure cooker.

R

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that it's my beans! I use the store brand dried ones, and I can tell you from experience that 4 hours just wouldn't be enough to make those things tender! R

That's really odd Rich. Actually, the first time I made these beans, I didn't cut the heat enough to get a slow simmer. I had probably a medium simmer going and the beans over cooked slightly and were mushy and fell apart easily when stirred. I just used the cheapest packaged store bought beans available. Also, except for the bringing to boil at the start of the cook, I kept the dutch oven covered the entire time. Just pulled the lid to stir.

Also, except for the bringing to boil at the start of the cook, I kept the dutch oven covered the entire time. Just pulled the lid to stir.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is it......I think that I always cook my beans with the lid off. Makes sense, instead of evaporating, with the lid on, more moisture remains to be sucked up by the beans. This rainy weather is good bean weather, so maybe this weekend. Thanks, Cliff.

R

Ok Cliff, I'm coming to dinner that looks fantastic. Of course your bread is to die for, awesome job.

Gimme some bread & beans please....oh and some ribs too, if there are any left :)

Glad my obsessive Internet searching found us both a link that helped on the shaping! Makes a world of difference (along with the 30 other things that impact how each loaf turns out!) :)

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that it's my beans! I use the store brand dried ones, and I can tell you from experience that 4 hours just wouldn't be enough to make those things tender! Next time I'm going to experiment with a "pre-soak" in the pressure cooker.

R

That's the ticket - I've kicked out some kick-a refried beans & bean soup from the pressure cooker.

Back