Corned Beef and Pastrami

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
A couple weeks ago I picked up a full packer for $2.59/#. I separated the point from the flat and dry rubbed on the proper amounts of cure #1 by weight and ground up pickling spice. Vac packed each hunk separately and let them cure.

38070101282_3fb3c091c3_c.jpg

The point I seasoned and cold smoked for pastrami. Both the flat and the point I sous vided to finish. 183° for 10 hours. I haven't cut into the pastrami yet, but the corned beef made it into a Reuben last night.

Here's the point all seasoned and ready for the smoker. Juniper berries (that I harvested and dried) coriander seed, black pepper. Ground all in my spice grinder. I also added some mustard powder just for kicks. Used Cherry for smoke.

38359177246_61356e2ed0_c.jpg

Here's both after the sous vide. I should mention that after curing I do rinse off the ground pickling spice. It would be too intense if you didn't.

24545365278_caa5a4dde2_c.jpg

Corned Beef

38384975052_27b8cf2d42_c.jpg

Pastrami

38385252482_f69069efc6_c.jpg

Corned beef sliced. I hand slice and it is all well under a 1/8" thick.

26640273899_ac58923318_c.jpg

Home made sauerkraut, homemade Russian dressing (recipe to follow at end) rye bread and Swiss cheese.

26640264979_2aec3a2b30_c.jpg

Here's the Russian dressing recipe:

1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup pickle relish (My wife and I prefer dill. Original recipe calls for sweet)
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon (I go heavy and use extra hot) horseradish
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (you can sub Henderson's relish)

Enjoy!

Aw, geez, Case, how come you didn't make the rye bread and Swiss from scratch, too?!?! ;) I kid, I kid! That's some killer looking CB, and I suspect that when you post up pics of the pastrami it's going to look just as killer!

Nice work, sir!

R

Aw, geez, Case, how come you didn't make the rye bread and Swiss from scratch, too?!?! ;) I kid, I kid! That's some killer looking CB, and I suspect that when you post up pics of the pastrami it's going to look just as killer!

Nice work, sir!

R

Thank you Rich! I considered the bread, but I decided it would take to long! Pastrami tonight!

Last night I sliced up the pastrami. Heated up pastrami, kraut, Swiss cheese and mustard in a CI pan. Spread Russian dressing on toasted rye, topped with pastrami mix, served open face yum!

24566977368_8ca94baec7_c.jpg

38406780412_ef962159df_c.jpg

38381928816_6eb588511e_c.jpg

Case, I'll take that sandwich any time. I love Reuben sandwiches and yours is way out of the ball park.

Nice pile of pastrami and awesome sandwiches. I love Reubens, Pastrami & Swiss, & Pastrami Burgers too.

I'm wondering how that CI griddle compares to a panini press........ love a good panini. (I've enjoyed that beer a few times too)

Nice pile of pastrami and awesome sandwiches. I love Reubens, Pastrami & Swiss, & Pastrami Burgers too.

I'm wondering how that CI griddle compares to a panini press........ love a good panini. (I've enjoyed that beer a few times too)

Thank you!

The CI griddle works great. I use one of my CI pans as a weight.

Hey, if anyone is still listening on this thread. I have a large flat (point removed before purchase) that I want to dry brine and split into half corned beef, then smoked for pastrami.

Looks like Case did a dry cure with #1 pink salt by weight, and simple ground pickling spice for the start, vac sealed and left that cure for a week or so. I would let it sit for two weeks to be sure, but I think one week might be enough?

After that Case rinsed the cure off and did a sous vide on the piece for corned beef. Then ready for use.

It looks like for the flat/pastrami Case added another rub and smoked with the rub in place, then sous vide?

I'm just missing the order for the pastrami I think after it came out of the cure, got rubbed, smoked, then sous vide.

Case - any ratio of spices you used on the rub for the pastrami step would be helpful. Did you vac seal the piece for the pastrami/with rub for awhile before the smoke?

I've already made the deli rye, it's sliced and frozen. I also have the kraut in the tank. I'll be making my own dressing for sure.

Thanks

Back