Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me out with thoughts on the Performer series, I think I've narrowed it down...

TVWBB Super Fan

Help me out with thoughts on the Performer series, I think I've narrowed it down...

Looking for some advice.

My problem is my Kettle...I bought it a year or two after me and my wife got married, gonna be 32 years this month. It's an original 22.5" Kettle, old style ash tray with the funky spring clips, I see they still sell that model...I've gone through 4 grills, 3 charcoal grates below, a set of wheels, 2 or 3 of those wooden table accessories, charcoal separators, hangers for tools, etc...I've tried to cobble around the one touch BS, I can't believe it lasted how long it has, but it's falling apart and the fins are just placed over the vent holes, they have fallen off the center...fins are half burned up...I see I can get another one touch vent/fin replacement, drill the old one out (riveted in), and put a new one in, but the kettle has seen better days...the tabs that hold the grill and charcoal grate and bending/burning off.

My kids gave me a $100 gift card for Father's Day and they wanted me to use it for a new Kettle, they feel sorry for me as they know how much I've used my kettle...literally, I've run that kettle into the ground...and they've eaten a lot of food off of it...they knew it wouldn't cover an entire kettle I would want, but wanted me to apply it...but I have to have a kettle, as I do a lot of stuff high heat on the kettle, and while I use my WSM a lot, the Kettle is used for all fish, some chicken, steaks, chops, anything I don't do low and slow goes in the kettle.

I bought my 22.5" kettle on 4th of July weekend in '87, the year I brought my wife to America. I bought it on sale at a hardware store that used to exist in California called Builder's Emporium...I think OSH bought 'em year ago...I'd say I got my mileage out of that one...

I know all the problems with the original Kettle and it seems that the Performer resolves a lot of the ones I have, which include...The stand is crap with the tripod style stand...every time I have to move it when lit, the charcoal and ash fall out on your feet, and invariably it seems I need to move it often. Changing the ash tray is a filthy job...The 4 wheel with 2 rotating wheels looks like a much more stable design and has a rack that you could add a steel shelf below. Although the systems Weber designs are pretty frail, the wheels are a joke. I've thought about building my own cart around a Master-Touch, and that could be an option, but I don't need yet another project. OTOH, I did get 30 years out of my Kettle...

I saw Weber came out with the new GBS and I think that's a must. If it wasn't for Weber accessories and/or after market suppliers to Weber products, there would be less attraction to Weber, but I like that and the new GBS has some great features. So, that is only available in 22", and narrows it down to Master-Touch or Performer series new or 22.5" used. The Master-Touch would leave me with the old crappy tripod stand, but it would provide me with the GBS style grill, also which I can add...to any 22.5" kettle...

I see that the Amazon link from VWBB has the Performer Deluxe for $349, that's not a bad price considering they list for $499. But Chris doesn't have any links for the new GBS unit below.

I keep watching craigslist hoping to score one, cause even if I find a Performer without the GBS, I could add it.

What about this newest model Performer with the smaller folding table? This doesn't have the gas starter, but I kinda like the smaller footprint. Space is at a premium where I live. I think I've narrowed down my preference to this one below or the Deluxe. Weber just calls it the Performer Charcoal Grill 22".

Hey Chris, get a link for Black Friday!

Any comments?

Alan - smoke 'em if you got 'em!

PS - I really would like to get the new Summit Charcoal, but being out of work, that ain't gonna happen...

Last edited by Alan D; 11-14-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Alan - Smoke 'em if you got 'em, and if you don't got 'em, get 'em!

TVWBB Member
    Similar history here, converted my old 22" into a dedicated pizza kettle, and bought a used performer on CL. Recently upgraded to a new performer as the floor model was steeply discounted at Lowes. No regrets whatsoever, and IMO the gas assist is the ultimate accessory/feature.

Pardon me, but what is a GBS?
    22" Performer / 18.5" WSM / 22" OTS / 18" OTS / 14" Smokey Joe

TVWBB Super Fan
    You will never regret buying the Deluxe Performer (with gas assist). Once you cook on the Performer a few times you'll understand all the conveniences it has to offer. The cost is a little high but well worth it. Good luck with your choice.

Bill
    Smokin in San Diego on a WSM 22.5, Weber 26.75, Weber Platinum Performer, PK Grill, Genesis S-330 and a MAK 2 Star. Love them all.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk A View Post

Pardon me, but what is a GBS?
    GBS is the Gourmet BBQ System; the 22.5" grill grate with the removable center section and associated accessories like wok, griddle, steak sear grid, ebelskiver pan, etc.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    The performer is what got me back into charcoal. With the gas assist it's basically as easy as a gasser to use. With the work table and charcoal bin which I use to store my smoking woods it's perfect.
    If you can swing it I would go with the bigger performer with the gas assist you won't regret it.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Fan
    I have an older performer, about 10-12 years old with the bigger work area. I looked at the one with the smaller table and I feel it is too small to be useful. The gas ignite is really useful as well. If you can't afford the Performer with the bigger work area, I would get a new kettle and get a work table to sit next to it. Not the most elegant solution, but will get the job done.
    WSM 14.5 - WSM 18.5 - Performer 22.5 - Q1200

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    The performer is what got me back into charcoal. With the gas assist it's basically as easy as a gasser to use. With the work table and charcoal bin which I use to store my smoking woods it's perfect.
    If you can swing it I would go with the bigger performer with the gas assist you won't regret it.
    Ditto here. I am so glad I bought the Performer with the gas assist. It is definitely the way to go.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) WSM 14.5 Original Kettle Premium 26 18 OTG Kettle Jumbo Joe Gas Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza

TVWBB Super Fan
    Yeah, I hear you guys on the gas lighter, and I was thinking the same as I does look convenient.

The Gourmet BBQ Systems (GBS) looks like it will allow some great stuff that I was missing in the past...having a cast iron skillet to slip in the grill would allow breakfast to be cooked, typically I would always cook eggs in the house, but I could do that in the kettle with the GBS.

I was looking for the smaller folding table with a gas starter in it, but they don't appear to make it.

I was also considering the 26" Kettle, but there is no GBS for it...oh, that searing grate looks awesome! Did I mention that? Or the Pizza stone...like I said, there's some cool things with the GBS that I know I would get use...

With all of that said, the Summit Charcoal is probably the kettle I really want, just that I really can't afford it right now as I'm out of work. That looks like a nice @$$ kettle...but somehow it might bother me to pay $1500 for a kettle and have some of the crappy vent system in the bottom, I've heard it's a little better than the original one-touch, but it looks similar. But aside from some of those apparent short comings, that double walled body looks the shizzle...

Ok, so let's kinda forget about the Summit Charcoal for a minute, cause it's unfortunately not gonna happen right now...

Seems that with the Performer what I'm hearing is the gas igniter is worth having. That might make the $349 Amazon link here a pretty good deal...

Thanks to those that offered some opinions so far! I feel like I'm getting a new baby that I'll raise into the world...and thinking about a kettle lasting 30 years, not hard to justify the Summit Charcoal...but unfortunately not in a position to pull the trigger on it...so Performer Deluxe might be the best option at this time.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    The performer is what got me back into charcoal.
    I've never used a gasser other than at other people's/family's homes, I wouldn't be caught with one in my yard. I use mostly all hardwood lump, but unfortunately it's getting hard to get easily as BBQ Galore closed down in Campbell, so I need to drive up to Palo Alto, or use Cowboy/similar. In a pinch I used to use the Whole Foods 365, but it seems that Amazon is not continuing it after taking over...maybe they're just waiting for Winter to blow through and bring it back in the store after, that I don't know.

I think that much I know, I need another kettle, or maybe better stated I need a replacement for high heat charcoal cooks.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Oh I like charcoal too but up here in the mountains of Arizona until the monsoons fire up in the summer we have fire restrictions which do not allow the use of wood or charcoal. So we have a couple of gassers to cook on to keep the heat out of the house. One is natural gas and can do anything the inside oven can do except broil.
    As you can see in the pictures my charcoal fleet vastly outnumbers the two gassers. Even have two gas assist performers.

"Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast