Help me out with thoughts on the Performer series, I think I've narrowed it down...

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking for some advice.

My problem is my Kettle...I bought it a year or two after me and my wife got married, gonna be 32 years this month. It's an original 22.5" Kettle, old style ash tray with the funky spring clips, I see they still sell that model...I've gone through 4 grills, 3 charcoal grates below, a set of wheels, 2 or 3 of those wooden table accessories, charcoal separators, hangers for tools, etc...I've tried to cobble around the one touch BS, I can't believe it lasted how long it has, but it's falling apart and the fins are just placed over the vent holes, they have fallen off the center...fins are half burned up...I see I can get another one touch vent/fin replacement, drill the old one out (riveted in), and put a new one in, but the kettle has seen better days...the tabs that hold the grill and charcoal grate and bending/burning off.

My kids gave me a $100 gift card for Father's Day and they wanted me to use it for a new Kettle, they feel sorry for me as they know how much I've used my kettle...literally, I've run that kettle into the ground...and they've eaten a lot of food off of it...they knew it wouldn't cover an entire kettle I would want, but wanted me to apply it...but I have to have a kettle, as I do a lot of stuff high heat on the kettle, and while I use my WSM a lot, the Kettle is used for all fish, some chicken, steaks, chops, anything I don't do low and slow goes in the kettle.

I bought my 22.5" kettle on 4th of July weekend in '87, the year I brought my wife to America. I bought it on sale at a hardware store that used to exist in California called Builder's Emporium...I think OSH bought 'em year ago...I'd say I got my mileage out of that one...

I know all the problems with the original Kettle and it seems that the Performer resolves a lot of the ones I have, which include...The stand is crap with the tripod style stand...every time I have to move it when lit, the charcoal and ash fall out on your feet, and invariably it seems I need to move it often. Changing the ash tray is a filthy job...The 4 wheel with 2 rotating wheels looks like a much more stable design and has a rack that you could add a steel shelf below. Although the systems Weber designs are pretty frail, the wheels are a joke. I've thought about building my own cart around a Master-Touch, and that could be an option, but I don't need yet another project. OTOH, I did get 30 years out of my Kettle...

I saw Weber came out with the new GBS and I think that's a must. If it wasn't for Weber accessories and/or after market suppliers to Weber products, there would be less attraction to Weber, but I like that and the new GBS has some great features. So, that is only available in 22", and narrows it down to Master-Touch or Performer series new or 22.5" used. The Master-Touch would leave me with the old crappy tripod stand, but it would provide me with the GBS style grill, also which I can add...to any 22.5" kettle...

I see that the Amazon link from VWBB has the Performer Deluxe for $349, that's not a bad price considering they list for $499. But Chris doesn't have any links for the new GBS unit below.

I keep watching craigslist hoping to score one, cause even if I find a Performer without the GBS, I could add it.

What about this newest model Performer with the smaller folding table? This doesn't have the gas starter, but I kinda like the smaller footprint. Space is at a premium where I live. I think I've narrowed down my preference to this one below or the Deluxe. Weber just calls it the Performer Charcoal Grill 22".

Hey Chris, get a link for Black Friday! ;)

Any comments?

Alan - smoke 'em if you got 'em!

PS - I really would like to get the new Summit Charcoal, but being out of work, that ain't gonna happen...:(

15301001B_1800x1800330311.png

Last edited:
Similar history here, converted my old 22" into a dedicated pizza kettle, and bought a used performer on CL. Recently upgraded to a new performer as the floor model was steeply discounted at Lowes. No regrets whatsoever, and IMO the gas assist is the ultimate accessory/feature.

Pardon me, but what is a GBS?

You will never regret buying the Deluxe Performer (with gas assist). Once you cook on the Performer a few times you'll understand all the conveniences it has to offer. The cost is a little high but well worth it. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

The performer is what got me back into charcoal. With the gas assist it's basically as easy as a gasser to use. With the work table and charcoal bin which I use to store my smoking woods it's perfect.
If you can swing it I would go with the bigger performer with the gas assist you won't regret it.

I have an older performer, about 10-12 years old with the bigger work area. I looked at the one with the smaller table and I feel it is too small to be useful. The gas ignite is really useful as well. If you can't afford the Performer with the bigger work area, I would get a new kettle and get a work table to sit next to it. Not the most elegant solution, but will get the job done.

The performer is what got me back into charcoal. With the gas assist it's basically as easy as a gasser to use. With the work table and charcoal bin which I use to store my smoking woods it's perfect.
If you can swing it I would go with the bigger performer with the gas assist you won't regret it.

Ditto here. I am so glad I bought the Performer with the gas assist. It is definitely the way to go.

Yeah, I hear you guys on the gas lighter, and I was thinking the same as I does look convenient.

The Gourmet BBQ Systems (GBS) looks like it will allow some great stuff that I was missing in the past...having a cast iron skillet to slip in the grill would allow breakfast to be cooked, typically I would always cook eggs in the house, but I could do that in the kettle with the GBS.

I was looking for the smaller folding table with a gas starter in it, but they don't appear to make it.

I was also considering the 26" Kettle, but there is no GBS for it...oh, that searing grate looks awesome! Did I mention that? Or the Pizza stone...like I said, there's some cool things with the GBS that I know I would get use...

With all of that said, the Summit Charcoal is probably the kettle I really want, just that I really can't afford it right now as I'm out of work. That looks like a nice @$$ kettle...but somehow it might bother me to pay $1500 for a kettle and have some of the crappy vent system in the bottom, I've heard it's a little better than the original one-touch, but it looks similar. But aside from some of those apparent short comings, that double walled body looks the shizzle...

Ok, so let's kinda forget about the Summit Charcoal for a minute, cause it's unfortunately not gonna happen right now...:(

Seems that with the Performer what I'm hearing is the gas igniter is worth having. That might make the $349 Amazon link here a pretty good deal...

Thanks to those that offered some opinions so far! I feel like I'm getting a new baby that I'll raise into the world...and thinking about a kettle lasting 30 years, not hard to justify the Summit Charcoal...but unfortunately not in a position to pull the trigger on it...so Performer Deluxe might be the best option at this time.

The performer is what got me back into charcoal.

I've never used a gasser other than at other people's/family's homes, I wouldn't be caught with one in my yard. I use mostly all hardwood lump, but unfortunately it's getting hard to get easily as BBQ Galore closed down in Campbell, so I need to drive up to Palo Alto, or use Cowboy/similar. In a pinch I used to use the Whole Foods 365, but it seems that Amazon is not continuing it after taking over...maybe they're just waiting for Winter to blow through and bring it back in the store after, that I don't know.

I think that much I know, I need another kettle, or maybe better stated I need a replacement for high heat charcoal cooks.

Oh I like charcoal too but up here in the mountains of Arizona until the monsoons fire up in the summer we have fire restrictions which do not allow the use of wood or charcoal. So we have a couple of gassers to cook on to keep the heat out of the house. One is natural gas and can do anything the inside oven can do except broil.
As you can see in the pictures my charcoal fleet vastly outnumbers the two gassers. Even have two gas assist performers.
38093895671_0616ceceed_z.jpg

24241598378_ff14700000_z.jpg

Rich,

You're my type of guy, although I try to contain myself better these days, my yard is a partial bone yard as well...I have other 'ques, one was a Kingsford that was not a bad grill, it was given to me by the guy that taught me to cook tri-tip...I burnt out the grill and bottom grate, and tabs were falling apart...and there is one drastic difference in the Weber, cause you can get the grills and grates cheap, in many cases I can get that stuff a few blocks from me at the big box stores...try that on another 'que? I was thinking of using the Kingsford to make a clamshell style forge, it would be perfect for that. That would use propane over a flat fire brick, the lid would act as the clamshell and hinge/articulate over the fire brick. I guess that's what happens to Kingsford 'ques when they die and go to heaven. That was not a bad que, a tad more beefy than the Weber designs, but again, Weber has the accessories for when you go through them...and if you use them, they will deteriorate...fire does that...I also have a Brinkman POS, but the water pan worked out ok for my WSM...LOL I've killed a couple along the way over the years...

I am not against a gasser, but just don't own one and have never owned one. My Brother-In-Law has a gasser and his steaks are XLNT...but I don't know, something about cooking with charcoal that attracts me. I only cook with charcoal, since I don't cook too much in the house, my wife handles most of that.

I'll be honest with you...I don't watch any bad air day notices or see them, and I think we may have them in the SF Bay area where I live, but I don't watch TV, and don't like FB so I don't see too much BS news...point being that I would probably not even know if a bad air day existed...I just put some charcoal in the chimney and do my 'que when I feel like eating it, so far nobody has ever said anything to me, winter, summer, or whenever the air is bad...

I've never heard of anyone being arrested, but I guarantee you it will most likely be *ME* in CA before it's you in AZ...:p:p

Lastly, I've never been a big green egg or kamado fan as they are so expensive and it is just not needed to do good 'que, but the Summit strikes me as being a "better kettle". I probably won't be happy until I get one...but think that the Performer is possibly a better fit, at least until I get my home built. That porch just might need a Summit Charcoal...LOL

My neighbor gave me his three year old SS Charmglow gasser because he wanted a more upscale grill. The grates were shot and the grease try was completely rusted. I figured I'd fix it up for a few bucks and donate it. Guess what the parts are no longer available and home depot still sells the same model. Three years old! I can still get the parts for my 1995 genesis almost anywhere.

As far as fire restriction's go the fire department drives around looking for people violating the no open flame restrictions, which also includes fire pits, chain saws and weed eaters (due to sparks) first offense will set you back $200 second offense $1000. That's why I have the gassers.

OK, that does it! I have got to make a trip to Prescott! I have to meet Rich and Barb face to face! I love the “Galley O’ Grills”!
Once you have the performer you will wonder why you took so long to place the order! You will love it!

When I first got into grilling it was with the performer with gas assist which was purchased new.

I have since owned and given away several performers some older without the gas assist.

I currently own two performers both with gas assist and neither have a gas bottle hooked up to them, I can't remember the last time I used the gas assist but I do use a lot of Weber starter cubes.

With all of that being said....two years ago I scored an in the box 26er off of craigslist and this grill gets about 80% of the work. Not that I'm cooking for more than two - four very often, but the 26er just allows me to go indirect much better than the 22.

With all of that being said....two years ago I scored an in the box 26er off of craigslist and this grill gets about 80% of the work. Not that I'm cooking for more than two - four very often, but the 26er just allows me to go indirect much better than the 22.

I'm watching for a 26er also. It's just Barb and me 99.9% of the time but we do a lot of indirect cooking and I agree the 22 is a little tight most of the time. If they ever came out with a 26 performer I would be all over it like ugly on an ape.

I'm watching for a 26er also. It's just Barb and me 99.9% of the time but we do a lot of indirect cooking and I agree the 22 is a little tight most of the time. If they ever came out with a 26 performer I would be all over it like ugly on an ape.

Rich,

I've been watching craigslist for several months and have not seen a single 26" listed. I've seen an 18" and a 22" WSM for sale, but no 26" kettles.

The only thing I can see as a drawback at this time is no GBS for the 26", but I suspect it will come in time.

For that matter, I keep watching for that 37" Ranch Kettle also, have never found one in more than 10 years of looking. There was one in TX recently for $600, but logistically too far for me, and most sellers don't want to ship a used Ranch Kettle...:p

Having a Ranch Kettle would be like cooking on a football field...LOL

Alan

I want a Ranch too! I have visions of two suckling pigs and half a dozen chickens, sausages, and sides all on one grill!!!

Tim,

Let's start the "I Want a Ranch Kettle Club!". Funny thing is I always felt like I would love a Ranch Kettle but didn't want to spend the $1200 for it.

Now I feel like I want a Summit Charcoal but don't want to spend $1500-$2000. LOL What we need now is the Summit Ranch Charcoal! (are you listening Weber? LOL :) )

The Ranch Kettle would allow one to have everything on the same level grill, that would be so nice...I bet you could fit 8 or 10 slabs of st. loooies...I don't know about a whole pig, I did one with a friend about 35 or 40 years ago and it would be tough to fit one in a 37" kettle. We dug a pit in the backyard to cook it. Although that is good, I'm ok with having my meat butchered nicely before I get it...the nicer quality and cut of meat the better...

Alan, a suckling isn’t anything like a big pig, but, I understand what you are saying, given the mammoth cavern of charcoal fired cooking delight space available, I can drool over mammoth cooks for dozens of folks!
I’ve roasted a few dozen whole hogs but, suckling pig is under 30 lb. generally. So, I’m not too concerned about it fitting. It’s not a feast for 100 people it’s dinner for ten, or four Lewis’s! The use of the real estate on one is what would be so much fun, not that you would HAVE to use it all the time but, you have the space to use several heat zones to do a more diverse menu on a single grill. I often need more than one grill to get several things done properly. Using one big one with hot and less hot areas to work with might just be a better use of charcoal.
The summit is pretty cool but, way out of my pay grade. Also, I have seven grills (after giving away several kettles and a Silver B) bought and paid for, or acquired one way or another. I don’t “need” that anymore than I do the Ranch, I just WANT the ranch!
I’m not buying one this week, I have to build my double barreled WSM “barouche” before I do anything else.
Time for dinner.....

Last edited:

Back