drinking and cooking

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
Should one drink and cook at the same time ? Anyone notice a correlation of drinking and cooking accidents ? When I say drinking, it means alcohol is involved.

I've had a couple of accidents drinking while cooking, I accidentally ran low on booze.
Cheers!

S9iLrm-DpJ14UHPwFMLaey7oKun3aOQuc5MpoB09xfIKMJZYWwcLrjUZ8PiO7RILsWpGP8LLXY7SzlXDWYABL0GsBob3Fq4R3J6zQhXMKZD22gFB0G7H7McYLyQLVfQ0tu3vOM3PLUFGDKZqdV69444jVuVnT9oLCDTTeJR4m_Dpx742D-h9IMey7057Aae9Yjp2Cii_nA6d4LOqA5hF1_1ap2IGf7nb9kkL01-NUpf7QHpVRhtrZlH_8bd9xyF8ExeqpbaPzcZU6ecJiTkbehS0FF0sF4dQRPeSc0s32D2LxCFhLQ7QE8dUPdSezM-y5tVZzc0sWH02berk8EO72BD1yot-jvnVvlM3hmpSglQCjJSQnt5hyQibjM_H5ErQoeCaXFpuk-YLW1fmoFml58_Ut9CbFZKQcSJkbvpU6nzQ5juEwBMtRfLFzY9hJcJDcH3eCOiukk-ChdyxSl76JYKMzLbfHYFN2eBeqnoWbIUQOCLNQlm8O36QUJduf1iJ1KpDerQiJrU8Swj8hT_r5xa9jT30kCOxKMwobwYNie6K8puQYTKTATlPDKGE0z9VcQk__Huw_mBq3HjAm3cJQtxmzF-4DQ6WP3QwN-7HcQ=w706-h896-no

I've seen no correlation - but - all of my accidents have occurred when I was stone cold sober. Maybe I should drink more. :wsm:

Good question George. I think drinking, in excess, impacts everything we do. I try and keep it sensible when I grill because I love my beer. I've never had a serious accident, but I've done a lot of ridiculous things like screwing up recipes, over grilling meat or burning the chicken, etc. Always come away a little disgusted with myself as a lot of the time the meat may have been expensive or a lot of prep time went down the tube along with the cook. I just try and keep a lid on it and keep it fun.

Last edited:
I've made some bbq sauce using bourbon so I drink when I cook and eat. Never had a problem with ether.

"Should one drink and cook at the same time ? Anyone notice a correlation of drinking and cooking accidents ?"
YES! ...and, yes.

I rarely drink when cooking indoors, ( well at least before noon ) but something about firing up the grill or smoker in the morning makes me want to have an eye-opener like a Bloody Mary, Lunch Box or GHT.
The only alcohol related incident was burning my forearm on the side of the OTG while adjusting the bottom vent.
I wear that scar like Kung Fu.

Tim

Should one drink and cook at the same time ? Anyone notice a correlation of drinking and cooking accidents ? When I say drinking, it means alcohol is involved.

I sometimes like to mix drinking with power tools, action sports, cooking, walking, hiking, billiards...... pretty much anything that I don't do professionally. My cognitive ability drops pretty quickly when playing chess, so some of my friends try to get me to drink while playing :)

I keep telling myself I'd like to go a couple months without drinking - 2 weeks is as long as I ever seem to go.

I keep telling myself I'd like to go a couple months without drinking - 2 weeks is as long as I ever seem to go.

For the last 4 or 5 years, I've given up drinking for Lent. Not because I'm uber religious, but it is as good a time as any to take a break. My other hobby is winemaking and I consume more than the average bear. A 6 week break goes surprisingly quick, but it is nice to know that I can do it. What's really frightening though is how great I feel after the first couple weeks and how much my sleep improves.

Back