Pulled Pork Party

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
A couple of weeks ago, I went to dinner with my sister, nieces, and the nieces' boyfriends. We started talking about all of the food I've been making since this summer. My nieces exclaimed how they love pulled pork. So, I knew that I had to have the broke college kids over for dinner soon. Fast forward to last Friday... We invited the kids over for pulled pork on Sunday. The last pulled pork I made was a bone in one from Whole Foods. We loved it, so we decided to go back and get our butt from there. It's about a $1/lb. more than at other places, but we figured we'd spare no expense for the kids. Picked up a butt that was a little more than 9 lbs.

I got up at 4:30 on Sunday and by 5:10 the butt was on the smoker. Waited a little for daylight to come to take a picture of the smoker running.

fwNwpnfl.jpg

Can't really see it in this picture, but there was a nice thin line of smoke coming out.

I napped from about 7 until about 9:30. Then, we cleaned the house and got ready to host...and watched some football while the smoker just cruised away at a hair under 250*. Used apple wood for the smoke.

13 hours later, viola:
nxyth3Gl.jpg

I didn't get plated pics or any other pics. My niece had just gotten back into town after visiting with her mom for the weekend; which meant that her dog joined her and her bf. We spent a lot of time correcting one of my dogs, who is protective as can be over our old, blind dachshund. There wasn't any snapping or biting, just the occasional growl when the niece's pup got too close to the blind old lady.

But, the reviews were great: both nieces said I needed to enter my pulled pork into a competition, my wife said it was the best one yet, and the boyfriends? Well, they ate 4 sandwiches a piece. I love the fact that my weber can do 13 hours+ on one load of fuel and, with minimal effort, turn out great food. It's fun to feed the kids, especially when they enjoy it that much. Here's what was left by the time we were done with it:

tNbcsrXl.jpg

It looks bigger because I took the picture closer than I did the whole finished butt. But, when I finished shredding and tossed the bone, I'd guess that there wasn't more than two pounds left. The nieces and their boyfriends took that home. Plus the leftover desserts. I give myself an A+ for uncling.

It's good to be the King..Dan...nicely done, but now your on the hook for some more tasty pulled pork Partays.;)

Good show Dan! Way to feed the family. Looks terrific.

PS......I'd have locked the visiting dog outside, "accidentally" of course.

Back