Latest stable release and dynamic dns?

Riku Naskali

TVWBB Member
Hi there,

Updated my hardware and firmware to latest stable release (14).

However there seems to be something broken with the OPKG repos, can't update lists or install luci-app-ddns.

Seems that src/gz reboot_linkmeter http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/arm_arm1176jzf-s_vfp/linkmeter doesn't exist? The later two lines that have been commented out seem to have the right packages.

If I uncomment them both, no packages will be available. If I only uncomment the first one, then I can find luci-app-ddns, but install fails saying it needs ddns-scripts as dependency.

The packages from the standard repositories won't install because we're targeted against a snapshot release (we need the 4.9 linux kernel and they haven't done a release with it yet). I'll look into why the package source list is messed up, but I think you'll have problems installing any packages without forcing them to install.

HeaterMeter is an endpoint device though, not an internet router, so the ddns scripts should run on your router because the HeaterMeter is always behind that and should never be plugged directly into the Internet.

The packages from the standard repositories won't install because we're targeted against a snapshot release (we need the 4.9 linux kernel and they haven't done a release with it yet). I'll look into why the package source list is messed up, but I think you'll have problems installing any packages without forcing them to install.

HeaterMeter is an endpoint device though, not an internet router, so the ddns scripts should run on your router because the HeaterMeter is always behind that and should never be plugged directly into the Internet.

Damn, my router doesn't support any dynamic dns scripts so I guess I'm out of luck atm.

BTW, at one time I had a 4G dongle plugged directly into my HM, it worked really well :cool:

Packages may install, as long as nothing is needed in the kernel for some sort of dependency. Just go into System -> Software -> Configuration and comment out reboot_linkmeter from the "Distribution feeds" section and uncomment out reboot_luci and reboot_packages. Submit then update the package list. It installs just fine on the latest snapshot and comes up in the webui (on the bottom of the status page, took a bit of work to find it), although I make no guarantee about it actually working.

Many of the DDNS providers provide a way to update an entry via an HTTP POST call, which can be made into a script to run on the heatermeter. What DDNS provider are you using?

Also, assuming your HM is always at home, you can run a DDNS client on another computer and it will still update the IP that's associated with the DDNS entry.

Thanks!

I already installed DDNS auto-updater on my computer in the same wifi, but I think I'll make it work on my HM. Since the computer is quite often turned off.

Back