Turkey on 22” WSM or 22” mastertouch??

DaveGibson

I have family in from out of town and we’re doing a little pre thanksgiving action tomorrow. I’m planning on a spatchcock turkey but don’t know if I should be doing it on the smoker or kettle. I’ve had every intention of doing it in the kettle but now I’m thinking of maybe the WSM. It’s a relatively quick cook of under 2 hrs but 350 or so. That’s why I don’t think the WSM is needed for such a short cook. Anyone have experience on this? I’ll be doing offset on the kettle but no water. Will that be Ok? I’ll be cooking spatchcock in a tin pan with veggies.

Just looking for thoughts on the matter. Thanks guys and wish me luck on my first outdoor turkey.

:wsm22: vs :blackkettle:

Either way will work, but the kettle is easier to dial in to 350 IMO then a 22" WSM.( and I love my WSM'S)
Google apple brined turkey with big time gravy from Jamie from Weber and you can thank me later.
Good luck!

Tim

Though I know success has been had on both platforms, I prefer the WSM with an empty water pan because I have the whole grill grate for the bird and I am still cooking indirect and can attempt to capture drippings on the lower grill grate. I often say the WSM is simply a charcoal fired oven while the Kettle is a charcoal fired stove.

Either way post photos of your success. Cheers!

I cooked it on the kettle and think next time I would do it on the WSM. the temp seemed to be too high on the hot side and burnt my veggies under the bird. But the thing came out fantastic and would recommend a grilled spatchcocked bird to anyone willing to listen.

I have only an 18" WSM, so for the past ~20 years, all my turkeys have been done on a 22" kettle. Simply used the directions that are in the booklet that used to come with the new grills. Need to add coals to both sides every hour, but relatively straightforward. Only malfeasance was once using too much hickory, so that even the gravy had a very smoky odor!

Back