Cast Iron Dutch Baby

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I posted a photo of a Dutch Baby in my Teriyaki stick thread that we cooked for breakfast while the sticks were in the smoker. Figured I better post the recipe.

These come out the best when cooked in cast iron. At camp we cook them in Dutch oven. At home we do them in a 10" cast iron pan in the oven.

Enough talk lets get going...

Recipe:

3 eggs
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
4 tablespoons salted butter (cut up into small pieces)

(you can add other things like vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, etc.)

Preheat Dutch oven or oven to 425. For a 10" Dutch oven you will need 27 (18 top-9 btm) briquettes, 12" 31 (21top-10 btm)

While preheating mix together all the dry ingredients then whip in the eggs. Really whip it up. More air the better and you don't want lumps.

Once preheated add cut up butter to Dutch oven or skillet. As soon as the butter has melted add batter. Cook for 20 minutes. If using a standard oven lower temp to 300° and cook for another 5 minutes.

Immediately remove from pan or Dutch Oven. Sprinkle with powder sugar. Serve with lemon juice, syrup, or preserves.

38271189401_956c469183_c.jpg

38271185851_6f963563b4_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the recipe. We do a lot of cooking with cast iron and will for sure give this a try.

Love us some Dutch babies! Never made one in a DO, but that looks just as good as the ones from my oven!
And thanks for the recipe!

My wife’s best friend comes to visit her every Sat AM. I cook breakfast for them and am often looking for a new idea. You, my friend, have provided tomorrow’s good idea. Thanks!

I've been meaning to try these. Out of curiosity, I assume that recipe makes one, but how many people does that typically serve (as a dessert or snack)?

Case great looking dutch baby! My recipe is very similar except the part about the whipping together with no lumps. Mine has me on purpose leave some lumps in it! Will have to give it a try with a full mix.

Daum

I've been meaning to try these. Out of curiosity, I assume that recipe makes one, but how many people does that typically serve (as a dessert or snack)?

Yes this makes one.

I’d cut it into 8ths for dessert. For breakfast we cut it into thirds.

Case great looking dutch baby! My recipe is very similar except the part about the whipping together with no lumps. Mine has me on purpose leave some lumps in it! Will have to give it a try with a full mix.

Daum

This one is supposed to be lumpy too. I have found though that really whipping it up and getting air into the mix makes a lighter fluffier final product.

Recipe:

3 eggs
½ cup flour
½ cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
4 tablespoons salted butter (cut up into small pieces)

(you can add other things like vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, etc.)

Would you fix the quantities please? Note in your post it says
½ cup flour
½ cup milk

At least on my screen it does.
Thanks.

I’ve been making these for many many years, fresh strawberries and bananas are my personal favorite spanked with a little confectioners sugar, maybe drizzled with some “Mandarine Napoleon” (flambéed for dessert or special breakfast) you can put just about anything in them! My friend uses leftover spaghetti sauce and cheese for filling (omitting the sugar, of course)
I started making them in a cocktail shaker actually and the result was better than using a blender or whip!

Case, do you ever put a filling in them, berries or other fruit?

Cliff yes we do use berries on top. You have to be careful to not introduce too much moisture prior to the cook or you won’t get the rise.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a savory not sweet version that would be topped with bay shrimp and Dungeness crab. Dust with old bay seasoning.

Back