Hello from a noob

Derek K.

Hi everyone,
I've been planning on buying a smoker ever since I retired from the army in Feb. After lots of research, including a few months lurking on here, I finally ordered a WSM 18.5 and a ThermoWorks Smoke today. I can't wait for them to arrive! I plan on doing a 12lb turkey for Thanksgiving (7 people eating), which is probably very ambitious since I've never done this before. I'll have enough time to season the WSM and then do probably 2 or 3 smokes before showtime to get a feel for it. In addition to my inexperience, I'm worried about the weather. Here in central Oregon it's already pretty chilly, and frequently windy. Fingers crossed for a mild Thanksgiving, because I don't have any time to come up with a good way to block the wind. My guests will all be close family though, so if I crash and burn (or crash and stall :)), it won't be the end of the world.

I've already come across a lot of information from this forum, but if you guys have any specific pearls of wisdom please throw them my way. I look forward to learning from everyone here and eventually cooking up some delicious Q!

Derek

Welcome to the meat box :D

NO NEED to "season" the WSM. Just a waste of fuel. Just fill it and go (after reading the instructions on getting it lit here

If you want crispy skin on your bird, make sure your temps are around 325. You can do it lower BUT the skin will be vulcanized (ie like rubber) so keep that in mind. It'll still look good but you won't be able to eat it.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
To Len's temperature advice I would add that you'll never hit 325F if you put water in the pan. Wrap the pan in foil to make cleanup easier and put it in the smoker without any water in it. It will act as a heat shield but not as a heat sink that will make it impossible to hit higher temperatures.

Don't overdo it with the smoke. I'd probably use apple wood with maybe one chunk of oak or a very small one of hickory.

Put two machine screws in the door so you can use them as legs to prop the door open when installed upside down. This will allow for more intake air and higher temps. Its best to do it with a clean door that way you can trace the opening from the inside with a sharpie. I did two traces one with the door installed correctly then the second one with the door upside down. Then mark your holes on the inside of the inner line. That way your hardware wont cause any issues with the door fitment when installed in either position. I used either 1.5 or 2" long stainless machine screws, washers, and nuts. Also when marking your holes make sure you give your self enough room from the lines that the washer will remain inside the lines too.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/accessdoor.html
door7.jpg

door8.jpg

Last edited:
Man, this forum is an awesome resource. Thanks for your responses, everyone. After follow-up research I'll definitely be skipping the "seasoning" of the WSM and cutting a slot for the temp probe wires.

JBooker, how often do you have to prop the door open, and what kinds of temps are you trying to reach by doing that? It might be easier to put the screws in right off the bat while it's clean, but my gut is saying hold off until I get a feel for how the smoker performs in my yard first. Maybe it won't be necessary at all?

Peronally, 99% of my smoking is 225-275 range.

I have done the "slit" cut for the probe wires and it is a good idea. The bolts: well, as you say you could wait till you need to do it. As a temporary method, you could always use a small stick to lift the lid a quarter inch or so to get some extra draft if you want higher temps and see how that works for you.

Derek, learn some basics, smoke ten things before doing any modifications would be my recommendation. I have been lucky, I’ve had great support from some very generous folks here, no serious failures. Thanks to you guys, I really appreciate the help through the first stages of the learning curve of the fascinating unit the WSM can be!
Derek, I’m happy to pay it forward and help walk you through the first couple of cooks, PM me if you so desire, just remember the time change and I’m three hours ahead of you!
I have a friend who always says I have one serious constant and that’s saying, “It’ll be fine!” Do half a dozen pork butts, in any division of them you wish, I might start with one and begin the controlling of vent education before diving into a brisket but, hey, even not earthshatteringly good Barbecue is still mighty good!
The failures do not stay around to haunt you so, be brave, get hungry and get smoking!

Man, this forum is an awesome resource. Thanks for your responses, everyone. After follow-up research I'll definitely be skipping the "seasoning" of the WSM and cutting a slot for the temp probe wires.

JBooker, how often do you have to prop the door open, and what kinds of temps are you trying to reach by doing that? It might be easier to put the screws in right off the bat while it's clean, but my gut is saying hold off until I get a feel for how the smoker performs in my yard first. Maybe it won't be necessary at all?

Its more for when you want to boost the temps up above 300-325 deg F with water in the pan. Like when doing whole chickens or a turkey over a higher temp. It is also nice when you need a little more air to get the heat up a little faster. You can leave the water out of the pan too but I prefer to have it in.

To Len's temperature advice I would add that you'll never hit 325F if you put water in the pan. Wrap the pan in foil to make cleanup easier and put it in the smoker without any water in it. It will act as a heat shield but not as a heat sink that will make it impossible to hit higher temperatures.

Don't overdo it with the smoke. I'd probably use apple wood with maybe one chunk of oak or a very small one of hickory.

I don't even use the water pan when cooking chicken on the WSM. The fat will drip into the fire, but to me that just adds more flavor, and you are far enough above the coals that any flare ups have never been a problem.

BD

I don't even use the water pan when cooking chicken on the WSM. The fat will drip into the fire, but to me that just adds more flavor, and you are far enough above the coals that any flare ups have never been a problem.
I suppose that turns the WSM into a multitasker -- it BBQs your chicken AND creates its own soap for cleanup!

Derek, thank you for your service. You=Army, me=Air Force. 1965 - 1968. Welcome to the forum. I've been here about four years but still a real newbie. Only smoke about four times a year. Never did a turkey but I wish you all the best. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and all of our service brothers who'll be protecting our shores from somewhere other than home.

If you'll be smoking in windy conditions I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight, purchasing a welders blanket and 3-4 cheap spring clamps. Wrap the smoker in the blanket to stabilize the temps but make sure you allow some room for air intake. I do this often as I usually smoke on the North side of my house and that is the direction of the prevailing wind.

Last edited:
Derek, thank you for your service. You=Army, me=Air Force. 1965 - 1968.

If you'll be smoking in windy conditions I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight, purchasing a welders blanket and 3-4 cheap spring clamps.

Welcome, and thanks for your service. Me: Army, 1972-1980, Artillery followed by 30 years Federal Civil Service, retired 2010. :)

I use a Harbor Freight welding blanket too. Highly recommended for windy situations. I have an 8' X 8' and fold it double. I have rope (paracord) through the grommets and hang it from under my 2nd story deck. Works great. Kind of looks like a tall R2D2 wearing a ghost costume.

Bill and John, thank YOU for your service as well!

The smoker finally arrived yesterday, but we've got a pergola under construction right where it'll call home. I won't be able to set it up and cook until Saturday. I guess it's for the best, because now I have a few days to figure out what I'm doing before I light the coals. It's been really windy lately, so I think I'll definitely pick up a welding blanket and rig it up somehow. I'm going to search the forums for ideas, but if you guys have a picture of your setup handy I'd love to see it.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Bill and John, thank YOU for your service as well! It's been really windy lately, so I think I'll definitely pick up a welding blanket and rig it up somehow. I'm going to search the forums for ideas, but if you guys have a picture of your setup handy I'd love to see it. Thanks again for all of the help.
You're welcome.

I have pictures, but I can't post them (not on the Cloud, FB or anything else). If you'd like to see some just drop me a line and I'll email them to you: homebrewer_99@yahoo.com.

Later.

Back