The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from a noob

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D-NC View Post
    I don't even use the water pan when cooking chicken on the WSM. The fat will drip into the fire, but to me that just adds more flavor, and you are far enough above the coals that any flare ups have never been a problem.
    I suppose that turns the WSM into a multitasker -- it BBQs your chicken AND creates its own soap for cleanup!

TVWBB Member
    Derek, thank you for your service. You=Army, me=Air Force. 1965 - 1968. Welcome to the forum. I've been here about four years but still a real newbie. Only smoke about four times a year. Never did a turkey but I wish you all the best. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and all of our service brothers who'll be protecting our shores from somewhere other than home.

If you'll be smoking in windy conditions I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight, purchasing a welders blanket and 3-4 cheap spring clamps. Wrap the smoker in the blanket to stabilize the temps but make sure you allow some room for air intake. I do this often as I usually smoke on the North side of my house and that is the direction of the prevailing wind.
    Last edited by John Neuser; 11-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John Neuser View Post
    Derek, thank you for your service. You=Army, me=Air Force. 1965 - 1968.

If you'll be smoking in windy conditions I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight, purchasing a welders blanket and 3-4 cheap spring clamps.
    Welcome, and thanks for your service. Me: Army, 1972-1980, Artillery followed by 30 years Federal Civil Service, retired 2010.

I use a Harbor Freight welding blanket too. Highly recommended for windy situations. I have an 8' X 8' and fold it double. I have rope (paracord) through the grommets and hang it from under my 2nd story deck. Works great. Kind of looks like a tall R2D2 wearing a ghost costume.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Bill and John, thank YOU for your service as well!

The smoker finally arrived yesterday, but we've got a pergola under construction right where it'll call home. I won't be able to set it up and cook until Saturday. I guess it's for the best, because now I have a few days to figure out what I'm doing before I light the coals. It's been really windy lately, so I think I'll definitely pick up a welding blanket and rig it up somehow. I'm going to search the forums for ideas, but if you guys have a picture of your setup handy I'd love to see it.

Thanks again for all of the help.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post
    Bill and John, thank YOU for your service as well! It's been really windy lately, so I think I'll definitely pick up a welding blanket and rig it up somehow. I'm going to search the forums for ideas, but if you guys have a picture of your setup handy I'd love to see it. Thanks again for all of the help.
    You're welcome.

I have pictures, but I can't post them (not on the Cloud, FB or anything else). If you'd like to see some just drop me a line and I'll email them to you: homebrewer_99@yahoo.com.

Later.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12