GrillGrate Burgers and Still More Jerky

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
The steak cook I did last week was supposed to be done on the new GrillGrates my wife got me for my birthday, however my delivery was delayed for 3 days making that impossible. Decided to just go with burgers after my grates finally arrived. At least I can begin getting the seasoned up. Sided up the burgers with my wife's wonderful potato salad. I threw in a few pic's of my third jerky cook in the last few weeks. I found that doing 2 lbs. at a time just didn't last long enough, so I loaded up two smokers with four and a half pounds of meat this time. Here's the pic's.

Sliced and sauteed some white mushrooms.

enhance

Followed it up with a couple of pieces of bacon I had in the fridge.

enhance

The maiden voyage. Burgers on.

enhance

They do make some pretty cool grill marks.

enhance

enhance

Then what'd I do? Covered them up with cheese of course.

enhance

The GG's did a great job toasting the buns, but forgot a bun pic. Plated it up!

enhance

enhance

The burgers and salad were delicious. Burgers were extremely moist and not at all over cooked. Look forward to future cooks on these grates.

Here's the jerky pic's. 4.5 lbs of marinated meat.

enhance

Last edited:
Rigged up 4 racks in my 22 WSM. Bottom section here.

enhance

Same on the top.

enhance

Put what I called the "odd's and ends" on the 18" WSM.

enhance

After a couple of hours of smoke and 6 hours total, all done. Crummy picture, sorry.

enhance

This batch again had wonderful flavor and was (is) delicious. Having said that, this batch was a little too salty. I believe I left it in the marinade too long. I started a little earlier the night before in the previous cooks. Then let it go overnight. Then, the next morning was really chilly and it took nearly two hours to get the smokers up to 160. Consequently, didn't get the meat in the smoker until 11:00. My next batch I won't put in marinade until I go to bed and will pull it out of the marinade first thing in the am and pat it dry. Live, eat and learn I always say! Thanks for looking everyone.

The burgers and tater salad look phenomenal, Cliff! Congrats on the new Grill Grates and Happy belated birthday. That is one monster load of jerky. Just have a few more beers to deal with the saltiness on the jerky;) Sure looks great. Picture perfect post once again!

Nice cooks Cliff. I have been eyeing the Grill Grates lately, thanks for reporting on them. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

What a great birthday present and a belated Happy Birthday. Burger looks perfect and 4 1/2 pounds of jerky, wow you must really love that stuff. I'm assuming that's Bobs recipe, got to get off my lazy butt and try that.

Cliff, as always those burgers are awesome and your wife's potato salad outstanding side dish. That jerky looks yummy, going to have to get Rich to do some because I like that stuff. Happy belated Birthday.

If you're just using soy sauce I wouldn't worry about it being extra salty, but maybe take it easy on the tenderquick? ((or prague powders))

oh and Rich, you have to make a lot more than you think - jerky never lasts long....that 4.5# probably netted ~1.35# or less in finished product.

Back