Prime brisket point ideas.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I went to my butcher the other day to pick up some sausages, ground beef etc, and saw a prime brisket point sitting in the case. It's super rare to see a point only. All I can surmise is that some monster had the butcher trim the best part of the brisket off because he only wanted the flat. I wasn't going to let that beauty go to waste. Not on my watch! So I've got a 3 lb hunk of Aspen Ridge prime all natural brisket I need to figure out what to do with.

I'm thinking burnt ends. I typically cook whole packers and serve them carved Central Texas Style. I have no idea what the timing for a 3 lb point as far as length of cook at 275 would be. Any ideas?

I did a three pound butt a month or so ago, and I was surprised how long it took. While an eight or nine pound butt takes thirteen hours, this little three pounder took nearly eight. Leave plenty of time! :)

I'm the same as you. I normally do prime packers with just S&P.

You could take the opportunity to go hot and fast with it? But like you, I normally roll at 275 and usually paper them.

Burnt ends is a great idea. Mmm...3lbs of burnt ends sounds like a last meal.

Or cook as you normally do...go lighter on the smoke (apple) and slice, then fine cube when done. Brown in a pan (no fat needed) and its time to make tacos. Or throw some of the meat in a pot of beans.

Interesting dilemma. I've often dreamed of doing point-only, since that's the part I like most, but cook time is a beard-scratcher. I might cook it to 185 internal, then go by feel -- sort of jiggly-loose. The idea would be to get the internal fat to render almost to nothing. Ideally, you'd get some beef-candy burnt ends around the edges with some perfecto moist slices out of the middle. Anxious to hear about the result and the details.

Jeff

I've never done just a point but for competitions we separate the 2 pieces. We cook between 275-300 and the point is usually done between 4-5 hours. To help speed up the process we wrap in foil once it gets the color we are looking for, usually after 1.5-2 hrs

Back