Advice/tips for a large (22 lb.) turkey?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
I've never smoked a turkey before, and this year I'm the man for the job.

Bought a 22.5 lb. pre-brined turkey. I would greatly appreciate some advice on smoking it. I'd like to smoke it hot'n'fast but the multiple people I've told are freaking out and telling me it's going to be dry.

I was planning on injecting it, and when I cook it I was going to foil the water pan without water. Or should I even use a waterpan?

Any advice is greatly appreciated for his big bird.

Spatchcocked birds cook more quickly than “full frame” birds, so keep that in mind but, as far as water? I’m with Dwain, no water.
That’s said, I have a question for all you wise folks, I just inherited a 22 WSM and I’m considering loading up a 15# bird in the rotisserie, any insight on that? Additional time, I’m thinking high altitude, no pan, a little Apple smoke? 15 min per lb.?

Spatchcocked birds cook more quickly than “full frame” birds, so keep that in mind but, as far as water? I’m with Dwain, no water.
That’s said, I have a question for all you wise folks, I just inherited a 22 WSM and I’m considering loading up a 15# bird in the rotisserie, any insight on that? Additional time, I’m thinking high altitude, no pan, a little Apple smoke? 15 min per lb.?

http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/rotisserie-roast-a-turkey

Troy,

Birds typically benefit from hot and fast. 325...no water.

You're cooking on the WSM right? You can go hot, just have a good thermometer in the bird and something monitoring the grate temp and you'll be fine (Thermoworks Smoke if you have one). Also, don't fall asleep while you're cooking it and you'll be ok. ;)

Be gentle with the smoke/smokewood. Poultry is very easy to overdo. I'd be more worried about over-smoking it than drying out that pre-brined bird. I'd suggest 1-2 chunks total of a mild fruitwood like apple or cherry. Don't even think about hickory or mesquite.

Good luck!

Troy,

Birds typically benefit from hot and fast. 325...no water.

You're cooking on the WSM right? You can go hot, just have a good thermometer in the bird and something monitoring the grate temp and you'll be fine (Thermoworks Smoke if you have one). Also, don't fall asleep while you're cooking it and you'll be ok. ;)

Be gentle with the smoke/smokewood. Poultry is very easy to overdo. I'd be more worried about over-smoking it than drying out that pre-brined bird. I'd suggest 1-2 chunks total of a mild fruitwood like apple or cherry. Don't even think about hickory or mesquite.

Good luck!
How many hours would you say with this big ol' turkey?

Edit: 325 for 4 hours? Apologies for being redundant!

Last edited:
Thanks Dwain, that confirms my forty years of “winging it”.
I’ve actually never looked at the butterball site ever before, interesting.

I appreciate everybody in this thread!

I just ordered the Smoke from Thermoworks (on sale, today only). Super excited to try it.

Troy,

Now why is that. Just your opinion or a bad smoke?
IMO turkey can handle a lot more smoke than chicken, and using the right amount with the right moisture content makes a big difference.
I've done Hickory smoked turkeys for years ( I buy my wood from Smokinlicious) and everyone loves it.
Did a few breasts with Mesquite and everyone loved that also.

Tim

Gotta agree with Tim, Hikory Smoked Turkey is darn good...Mesquite Smoked Turkey is great been making them for years and there the first to get devoured

I’ve smoked a boatload on the kettle, no one has pitched a hissy fit about over smoked taste yet. Not used mesquite but, just about everything else. Just inherited a bunch of mesquite, maybe for Thanksgiving...

I did a 23 lb turkey on my 22" WSM for Canadian Thanksgiving (last month). All I did was brine it with sugar & salt overnight, rinse it off, then add Kosher salt & coarse ground pepper inside and out. I smoked it at 300-325F with apple wood, and then because of the wind had to finish it in the oven at 325F, but 3 hours of smoke on the bird was plenty. When I had enough colour on it, I covered the bird with butter and then foiled it up. I tried to crisp up the skin by bringing the temperature up to 400F for the last 20 minutes, but it didn't really do much. Total cooking time was ~5.5 hours to get the internal temperature to 165F (breast). Everything was soft, moist, and juicy. Even the leftover breast was juicy days later. I made a roux (flour, butter from the pan, stock) and it was a great Thanksgiving meal. Give yourself 6.5 hours total cooking & resting time so hungry people aren't waiting. ;)

Be sure to keep all of the bones to make stock with. Smoked turkey stock is awesome.

Here's a pic of the bird before I buttered it and brought it in:

Z9UDYQth.jpg

Thank you so much for replying and telling about your experience, James! Much appreciated!

How much did you fill up the charcoal ring? How many lit coals did you start? I've only done a hot and fast smoke once (success, but it was a very short cook with wings).

Gotta agree with Tim, Hikory Smoked Turkey is darn good...Mesquite Smoked Turkey is great been making them for years and there the first to get devoured

Some in my family (my FiL in particular) doesn't care for the smoke flavor on Turkey; well, at least not on Thanksgiving. To keep him happy, we prepare a separate turkey (or sometimes just a breast) in the "traditional" manner (in an oven, basted with butter until it's dry as the Sahara and utterly flavorless - it's done not when the juices run clear but when there is no more juice to run.)

Thank you so much for replying and telling about your experience, James! Much appreciated!

How much did you fill up the charcoal ring? How many lit coals did you start? I've only done a hot and fast smoke once (success, but it was a very short cook with wings).

Hi Troy,

I started with a full chimney of lit briquettes and filled the WSM half full with unlit briquettes. That got me up to ~325F for a while. However, like I said, the wind forced me to bring the bird inside to finish.

I appreciate the feedback.

Guess I'll finish mine in the oven. Everyone is freaking out about the bird being so big and turning 'into jerky' on the smoker. I was just going to see if I could get it done properly and crisp the skin. Oh well.

Is it your family freaking out? Surely not anyone here!!
Just do it this way ONE TIME, if they don’t like it, have them do it next year! There’s an old joke...
Look up “U.Utah Phillips, Good Though” album pretty sure its YouTube available, you will know the cut.

Just wanted to give an update. Started the turkey in the smoker the night before Thanksgiving. Used about three chunks of genuine southern cherrywood from Alabama. Let it roll at 250-275 for about four and a half hours (knew the skin wouldn't be crispy) and put it in a roaster with red wine vinegar to finish for the remainder of the night. It turned out super moist and delicious. I still wish I would have done it completely in the smoker but it's all good. Thanksgiving went well. Did a small smoke on the new red kettle, too, on Thanksgiving day, with some mac and cheese that rocked everybody's socks!

Thanks everybody. Love y'all.

Back