My first try at BBQ Rotisserie Ribs

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I put a couple racks of BBQ St Louis cut beef ribs on my rotisserie in my Genesis 1000 yesterday. I had never done real BBQ ribs on a grill before and I have to say that I won't ever do them again unless they are done the right way on a grill. I think the rotisserie helped, but I think it could have been done very easily on the grates as well.

Here they are with the rub applied and mounted in the rotisserie:

TObmOqS.jpg

In the grill and ready to start spinning:

8vd76sj.jpg

Done cooking after 5 hours at approx 225F. Now for the BBQ sauce.

vZJjXEj.jpg

After ten or 15 minutes of glazing the BBQ sauce on high heat:

1l9Ktke.jpg

And now, Time to Eat.

eYUqPiN.jpg

As good as any I have ever had in a restaurant. The next time, I think I will try regular Pork ribs instead of beef. But these came out exceedingly juicey and tasty.

Here is the recipe that I followed if anyone cares. (I also used the "Memphis Dust" Rub recipe quoted in this recipe as well).
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

Last edited:
Looks tasty :D

As you found out, sometimes a solution is looking for a problem. The rotisserie is good if you're doing it on a grill where you don't really have the room to cook them in an "offset" manner (ie indirect). Don't have to worry about them getting crispy on one side. I'd continue with your rotis method as it does have some benefits (at least until you get a WSM).

No plans for a WSM at this point. My Genny 1000 allows me a lot of functionality in one unit. I am still learning to cook on it. A 16 pound patchcock Turkey is on tap for Thanksgiving.

By the way, I do beleive the Genny 1000 would allow a good amount of room for indirect cooking. I only used the front burner on low/med for this cook and it kept the cook box to a constant 215 to 225 using my THermoworks Smoke remote temp sensor.. I am sure I could do at least double on the back half of the cook grates if I chose to go that route. But, the rottisserie does such a nice even job that I see no reason to not use it. It was plenty easy to use smoke as well. I just put an aluminum pan with apple wood chips covered in foil over the front burner.

Ribs tasted better than they looked. :)

And yah, that was a backed potato with cheese and bacon bits. "Was" is the key word.

Yah, I was looking at the racks of pork ribs in the grocery store the other day and I noticed they were just about exactly the same length as the rotisserie. Perfect for two people, but I am going to have to figure out a way to mount two of those on the roto at a time if I want to feed 3-4 people. My rotisserie isn't the standard design but I think I have a plan. I am real anxious for another run at ribs.

I made a batch of Buffalo Chicken Wings on the grill last night. Those always come out great, but my wife was especially impress with the batch last night.

Back