Turkey Wings - First Pass

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Found some turkey wings in the clearance bin at the local grocery, so figured I'd give 'em a try.

Some of them were just flats, but some had the tips still attached. I cut those off for stock-making later, then hit them all with some SPG and Memphis Dust. Ran them in the middle of my Performer with a basketful of KBB on each side. For some reason, even with all vents wide open, I had trouble getting the temp much above 300.

I flipped them every 15 minutes and after about 1 hour 15, they were all at 185-195.

These are destined for work lunches, but I did taste-test one for QC purposes. The flavor is phenomenal. I used a few small hickory chunks, so there's a hint of smoke. The only problem is that since the temps never got above about 315, the skin didn't crisp up too well. I figure I'll reheat them in the toaster oven at work, finishing with a few minutes on the "broil" setting.

They look beautiful. This is something I would like to try - might have to speak with the butcher counter at the grocery store this week.

These are destined for work lunches, but I did taste-test one for QC purposes. The flavor is phenomenal. I used a few small hickory chunks, so there's a hint of smoke. The only problem is that since the temps never got above about 315, the skin didn't crisp up too well. I figure I'll reheat them in the toaster oven at work, finishing with a few minutes on the "broil" setting.

I'd like to QC a few of those myself

Back