Heatermeter Networking "issue"...

J Lincoln

Hi all, I've been visiting this forum for quite some time, just never got around to registering. I have a HM 4.3 with the latest software, and I've got some weird issues and a few general questions:

- I don't know if its how I set my network up, but I'm able to log into Linkmeter by typing in the IP address when on the same network. That works fine. However, I cannot log in via the website I created using NoIP, and I also cannot log into pitdroid WHILE ON THE SAME NETWORK. However, I can log into both of those when on a different network, so I can remotely view the cook, adjust settings, etc. Any reason why this is the case?
- Along with that, when I go to heatermeter.com/devices, it ALWAYS says that there is no HM found at my site, despite me currently viewing the cook. I'm guessing I messed something up network-wise, though since everything seems to be working in general, I'm not sure I want to mess it up by changing things.
- I think this is related to the 2nd bullet point, but email/sms do not work for me at all.

- Some general questions - I see there is an archive available, but is there a way to simply enter in the type of food and have a set program run?
- Last question. I'm attaching my current cook in progress. Any ideas on how to adjust my PID settings to eliminate those big jumps?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhYuV1mekEbbXToN2
WhYuV1mekEbbXToN2

I don't know if its how I set my network up, but I'm able to log into Linkmeter by typing in the IP address when on the same network.
Well, how do you have the network set up on the device? I'm guessing all the problems with no devices on heatermeter.com/devices, no email and no SMS are all because there's no working DNS at the device. If you have forced a static IP on the device itself, make sure you've also included working DNS information.

The oscillations can usually be reduced by increasing the D constant in the settings. It is hard to say for sure though because all the settings interact with each other so one of the other values (P, I, or min/max fan/damper) might make it look the same.

Thanks for the response. I thought I was following all the instructions in the wiki on how to set up the networking. I must have a static IP set up on the device, as it's been the same address now through four different cooks. When it comes to networking/coding/etc., I'm definitely inexperienced. How exactly do I ensure I've included working DNS information?

If you look in the configuration page on /luci/admin/network/network/wwan (or lan if this is a Pi Zero) there is a field "Use custom DNS servers". Usually this should be whatever your router's IP address is. If that doesn't work you can try 8.8.8.8 (google's public DNS server). That should fix the heatermeter.com/devices and email/sms not working. You can test that change in Network -> Diagnostics and try the NSLOOKUP button, which should return this:
Code:
nslookup: can't resolve '(null)': Name does not resolve

Name:      lede-project.org
Address 1: 139.59.209.225 wiki-01.infra.lede-project.org
Address 2: 2a03:b0c0:3:d0::1af1:1 wiki-01.infra.lede-project.org

Back