A couple of chicken cooks

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
One of my long-time marinades for chicken is Italian dressing. I get a small bottle of robust/zesty dressing, stir in a package of dressing mix, and add extra salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to really ramp up the flavor.

ChickenThighsItalianDressing20171007_1.jpg

ChickenThighsItalianDressing20171007_2.jpg

ChickenThighsItalianDressing20171007_3.jpg

ChickenThighsItalianDressing20171007_4.jpg

A few years ago I was given a drumstick rack and I break it out every so often. It works with wings, too, but I use it just for drums. This time I made up an herb butter with salt, pepper, fresh basil and thyme.

ChickenDrumsticks20171021_1.jpg

ChickenDrumsticks20171021_2.jpg

I like to put potatoes and/or vegetables underneath the rack but the matching drip pan is too small, so I use a foil pan instead. This time I tossed Yukon Gold potatoes and asparagus with salt, pepper and olive oil.

ChickenDrumsticks20171021_3.jpg

The rack works well and the chicken skin gets really crisp and almost paper-like. The potatoes and asparagus were very good but obviously gave off a lot of liquid and essentially braised, so the asparagus came out really soft.

ChickenDrumsticks20171021_4.jpg

Two nice cooks Brad. Great idea on the enhanced Italian salad dressing. I've used it right out of the bottle but it always seemed to be lacking enough zing.

Brad: Great looking chicken. What is on the drumsticks - looks creamy and delicious as well!

Thanks, everybody!

Sean, when I use the drumstick rack I usually use some sort of butter mixture since it'll be dripping onto the potatoes or whatever else happens to be in the pan.

I put bread in the pan once but it came out too greasy. I had hoped it would soak up the butter and then get brown and crusty on the top, but no such luck.:(

Back