Feast TV: The Rise of Artisan Bread

You know I couldn't resist this thread :D

Thanks for the link Bob. I like the Kansas City (2nd) segment best. At about the 7.45 mark (where he slices into the loaf and inhales the aroma), that could have been me. Every time I do (two) loaves, when I slice into them I take that real deep breath. It is soooo nice.

I don't need to worry about my bread going stale either. Other than eating almost a half loaf the first day, the rest gets quartered and put in the freezer after it's cooled. Fresh bread every day is such a great way to start the day. The longer the ferment/the smallest amount of yeast yields the best tasting loaf.

Have to use unbleached flour for best results. I grind my own but (can't get fresher than that) if you buy unbleached, it HAS to have a very light yellow creamy colour. If it's white, it's been bleached, regardless of what it says on the label.

I also use this instant yeast
78b86b20ee18c7cc1311819831e2a2d1--yeast-for-bread-bread-baking.jpg

Needs no proofing and is just mixed in with the flour, water and salt.

I could go on for days but I'll stop now. If you're into this type of bread, you know what I'm talking about. If you're not, well maybe you should be ;) .

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the video yet, but my own previous research indicates that today's mass-produced bread uses fast-rising yeast instead of the older slow-rise product of yesteryear. Slow-rise yeast breaks down wheat toxins, but fast-rise yeast products work too quickly to be of any effect. The end result is gastric distress, and could very well be the cause of so-called "gluten intolerance". I read one particular story of a gluten intolerant American, traveling to Europe, nibbled on fresh baked goods, over there, with no gastric side effects.

Ironically, in my own tests, I can eat a few German-baked Wasa crackers without a substantial rise in blood sugar. I couldn't do that with the same amount of American-made saltine crackers.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video Bob, I found it very interesting. Although I bake almost all my own breads its a struggle at the altitude we're at. I'm getting better loafs now that I followed some advice I got from Cliff and Len and others, slow fermentation seems to be the biggest factor in getting that great crumb.

Timely, as we devoured a loaf of Forkish's Saturday White Bread tonight (modified w/ 10% whole wheat). Not just us 4, we had my parents here too.

Hey Bob, outstanding video. I saw it yesterday, but couldn't get to it as I was working on about 4 1/2 lbs of your jerky! Really enjoyed the entire video, but the first two segments appealed to me the most. Their focus on naturally levained breads is exactly where my interests lie. I had to chuckle when I saw those guys folding and shaping loaves in a matter of seconds. Made me realize what a freaking novice I am.

Last edited:
Got to buy some extra data time to watch it....
I've been making my own bread for quite some time now. I mainly make sourdough and that does not get stale easily.
I make 2 small loaves at the time, and bake them inside a pre-heated cast iron pot (got to bake them after each other as I only have a very small oven). I half them when they have cooled down and freeze. But even when I forget to freeze, they stay good for much longer than the standard bread here.

Back