Servo stutter

Malvin C

TVWBB Member
Just built a Heatermeter 4.3. Everything seems to work well with the exception of the servo. It does not move smoothly when opening/closing. Instead, it seems to stutter. It will open/close to the desired percentage, it just does not do so smoothly. Additionally, if the Heatermeter while in manual mode, the servo will get a very short/small burst. It won't move, but I can hear it "tick". Any suggestions???

Thanks everyone. Tried a new cable and still having the same issue.

I've got a v4.2 and when I ramped up the fan on manual mode to 100% from 0%, the servo would open slowly. Now, it opens in increments of 5%.

There's a certain amount of required movement before the servo will actually move, which is designed to keep it from bouncing back and forth between like 13% and 14% every second. When the output changes (even in manual mode) there can be a few second delay before the change is locked in. The amount that is needed depends on the sweep range of the servo timing but 10% of a 1500-2500ms 0-100% sweep always should move it, 5% may or may not I can't remember.

If you're having a problem where the servo "spazzes out" when it tries to move and gets hot holding position, it is likely due to low power at the servo side. I found that even a tiny 0.1uF capacitor as close to the servo power input as possible fixes it. If you have any sort of capacitor rated 6.3V or more and 0.1uF or more (10uF-100uF could be better), you can try placing it across the 5V/GND wires close to the servo to see if this fixes your problem.

Back